Saturday 6 August 2022

Friday Night Game - More RCW using "1914" By Great Escape Games

Last night we had another game of 1914 using RCW figures, including some of my own Bolshevik collection this time - great to get some of my toys out of their boxes!

John and Rick joined us for the game, so Julian partnered me against the two newbies - possibly a mistake - John certainly thought it might have been more sensible to have one "experienced" player on each side....

The scenario was basically a reprise of last weeks but with two cavalry units ana Tchanka MG cart added to each side. Once again, I was on the lower quality, more unit's side - which I was happy about! This time command points were something like 26 (us) to 18 (Capitalist Lackeys). The CL's were "Trained" so took 5 hits to remove a base, rather than 4 for us, and they fired more effectively etc.

Here are pix and commentary:


The field of battle - once again, the higher grade, smaller force was defending the road and BUA at the bottom of the picture


Julian wanted to try out the cavalry rules, so he took the two horse units and Tchanka support (as did Rick for the CL team). That left me with six btns of Red infantry and two guns against Johns three btn and one gun - 4 of my 6 shown deployed above


Johns force in the BUA before he repositioned them prior to kick off


The other two Red Battalions, to the left of the field guns


Female Red infantry battalion from a mixture of figure ranges


After an initial exchange of artillery fire, John used the "Fall Back" rule to hide behind his infantry before I knocked the gun out completely!


In the meantime, my two-gun battery had been reduced to one, mainly by long range HMG fire. The red markers are my activation tokens, showing the battery has been activated four times in this turn


Ricks CL Cavalry advance on their right flank


My first two battalions enter the woods in front of John's position


Almost ready - the battalions must move forward slightly to be on the edge of the wood before firing (or being fired at)


The defenders wait


And next move, the Red Guards let rip (no HMG fire in the first turn though, as they can't move and fire)



The cavalry clash on our left flank - Reds nearest the camera are mine (WW1 Old Glory Russian Cavalry repurposed)


I must have missed a few phases of play, this is later on, when John had wiped out my second gun with MG fire, repositioned one of his battalions to the left and moved up his artillery piece to shell my attacking infantry in the woods


My HMG and rifle fire had done the hard yards and removed an entire battalion of John's troops. The ones shown above occupying the house are those moved left to make way for the artillery piece


The slightly depleted front line of the Red infantry receive reinforcement from a second wave, comprising sailors to the left and the "laydees" to the right 


Meanwhile, the inconclusive cavalry fight that raged on the other flank most of the game, continues. I don't think either Tchanka fired - Julian was trying desperately to replicate the actual tactics employed, by rolling for a "Fall Back" action with his cavalry fighting Rick, so he could open up with his Tchanka HMG - but he just could not roll a 3 or 4!


My two "left wing" battalions in the woods - Ricks cavalry was in front and to the right as you look at this picture - the battalion on the right is firing into his unengaged cavalry unit, having already scored 4 hits on his Tchanka and wiping it out. The unit on the left is facing towards John's third battalion 


The victorious right flank infantry 


Johns' artillery still in action as the game came to a close


Couple of final shots (above and below) of the second wave, not required to reinforce the right wing, moving across the centre of the field to engage Johns central defending unit.


So, the Whites lost a Tchanka and one battalion, I lost both my guns, the cavalry blazed away at each other at close range all night and did virtually no damage to each other and I lost three bases from my force of 24 (6 units of 4 bases each, incl an MG base)

Fair to say, Rick and John were less than impressed with the rules, which is a shame as Julian and I quite like them! There are some odd things, and the main rule set seems to be a bit ambiguous in places and directly contradict what is shown in the QRS in some instances, but I am happy just to round that and pick how we want to interpret it, in the same way as we doubled all the firing ranges as they didn't make sense to us. John is a bit more finicky about understanding EXACTLY what the rules mean - I think he had it beaten into him at actors' school (he is one, for real!), that he must stick to the script and NOT ad lib! Hope that makes you smile when you read it mate :)

Anyway, I had another win, so, as Chris says, I will think it was a good game (you only sing when you are winning!)

And finally - great news yesterday when I checked the USPS tracking site and saw this message...I texted my wife to confirm it was accurate - and thankfully it was



Here is the proof - a rather small and inconsequential looking carton really, for the amount of time I have spent chasing after it and complaining about it on here!


An hour ago, I emailed Lon at Brigade Games, letting him know the figures had arrived safely and thanking him for helping me resolve it - 40 more Bolshevik infantry, twelve Red sailors and a few special surprise figures are added to the lead pile - all will be revealed in due course!

29 comments:

  1. Great game. Shame your opponents were not impressed with the rules, hopefully they don't abandon them and try them a couple more times. Pleased your parcel finally arrived

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, I hope so too, re the rules, and I am very happy my Brigade figures have arrived at last!

      Delete
  2. Well, two wins in one day! Well done. And I am not surprised with your win against the evil CL, God is on the side of the army with the big battalions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Ben - we were on the right side of history, just like the Parliamentarians in1649 and Union in 1865 - the Rebels in 1776 - not so much ! :)

      Delete
  3. I saw an interview with the author & he said 1914 was written specifically for 10/15mm (whether or not that is stated in the rulebook), so that could explain the apparent shortness of the ranges?
    What did R & J dislike about the rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick said it was "totally dice driven" which I think just represented his frustration with his usual poor rolling...but Julian had exactly the same issue - hence they battled away most of the evening with little effect to either force. John felt the balance of activation points made it neigh on impossible for the smaller force AND he felt the rules were sloppily written - a quick rush job rehashing Iron Cross (which he likes) for WWI, and not enough thought or effort had been put into the new set. Also, he was keen to read and understand the rules, as wrote, rather than have Julian or me offer a rather cavalier interpretation of how we thought it worked, which is possibly fair enough!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, at least I had fun, even if the other three didnt!

      Delete
  5. Fine looking action, Keith. Not everyone is drawn to the same rules’ design. We often look for something different. Nothing wrong with that. Sure seems to be plenty of interest in RCW at the moment.

    Such great news to see the Long Lost Order made it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes, it woukd be a boring world if we all agreed on rules design! I agree, no problem with different opinions! I am very pleased the long lost parcel has finally arrived

      Delete
  6. Great that the package saga has finally been resolved. as mentioned before, the rules never grabbed me and for a relatively small book, were hard to understand. As you say, rather ambiguous in places and the QRS being different to the rules. Maybe that has been addressed sice I last looked at them, but nothing so far makes me want to play them again. Horses for courses and all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Steve! Personally, I quite like these rules and I see a lot of good features, so, I can overlook the shortcomings of the total package. We can resolve the ambiguities locally. I am happy to persevere with them.

      Delete
  7. I have to admit I prefer it when the rules don't allow too much flexibility in interpretation. House rules are fine as long as they are decided up front. Having said that, we play a lot of DBMM and the rules are opaque at the best of times, often hinging on the interpretation and positioning of commas. It does seem like you had a fun time though Keith, and great to see the package safely in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence! Don't get me wrong, I don't want a totally anarchanistic appriach, whereby rules change on a weekly basis. However, I am looking for simple rules that provide a quick and satisfying game....which so far, 1914 has achieved!

      Delete
  8. There is an interesting downloadable file (4 pages) that cover errata and Q&A.

    Link
    https://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/uploads/1914/1914%20Errata%20and%20FAQ%208%20Apr%202021.pdf

    Don’t know if any of that helps?

    It doesn’t seem a very bloody system, a shame that two of the group are not keen, even if they did have unlucky dice. I played a face to face last night and rolled a ridiculous number of 1’s, the only exception was when I rolled 2’s! The host felt compelled to change the dice, which did allow me to roll some 3’s :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...thanks Norm. We all have games like that .....I guess I have been lucky with the D10 in 1914 and Iron Cross so far, hence my positive view of the rules to date.

      Delete
    2. That link doesn't seem to work - I also can't see anywhere on GEG's site that goes to downloads for anything??

      Delete
    3. Never mind, got it now - link worked from the email notification.

      Delete
  9. Well done on the victory - nice to see some of your boys and gells in action. Are there any other rule sets you’d be tempted to try for the RCW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JBM, previously, we have had a few games using Red Actions by, l think, Perfect Captain. They have worked well although it's so long since I personally played them, I can't provide any details!

      Delete
  10. I’m on both sides; it’s a shame when people you like to game with don’t like the same rules bc then it becomes a hassle to play those rules again. On the other hand; it’s a peeve of mine when rules aren’t clear and a contradictory QRS is just bad editing and a stupid mistake.
    But that was indeed a nice action and sing away. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All fair and valid points Stew. We have not yet found a "perfect " set for any era, so this may end up just being another of the "also rans"

      Delete
  11. Very cool RCW gaming, Keith. Interestingly, a couple of the players at my game yesterday are actually working on WW1 armies from Great Escape Games. Oh, and some of the guys also mentioned "issues" with Brigade Games too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, the inter war period has some great conflicts from the wargaming perspective. Rick, who I have mentioned a few times on this blog, including above, stopped using Brigade Games due to some kind of issue. I will almost certainly order from him again though, as he does have some great figures in a whole range of eras I am interested in.

      Delete
  12. That's a very nice looking army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, the Reds were mine, the opposition are our host Julian's

      Delete
  13. A nice looking game Keith…
    I’ve read the rules a couple of time and I can see a few things that seem ambiguous… but I am sure as alway you can find a work around…

    And hurrah hurrah a parcel…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Aly and so would Julian....I did suggest we could just leave those rules for two player games between us! He does have about fifty other sets we can use for a larger group 😄

      Delete
  14. The game looks and sounds great from this distance Keith (good game reports can always gloss over any limitations of rules). Wonderful to see your new lads and lasses on the table and taking the chocolates too!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete