Monday 24 April 2023

A Small Package

 Although we only have a few NZ based retailers who can supply wargames figures, and the choice of what you can get from them can be quite limited, the advantage is, you can order them on Friday and they turn up at your door on Monday!

I had a $120 "Prezzy Card" from my work Christmas present burning a hole in my wallet and after an unsuccessful attempt to see if it could be used overseas, I decided just to find something closer to home I could spend it on, and this is the result. 





I have been thinking about this Warlord FIW set for AGES - and finally took the plunge as it was the last one the shop had, and who knows if they will get it in again?


I think the sculptor has done a pretty good job, based on the 1992 movie, how about you?



And of course, the two Munro sisters (yes, you are right, I DO already have a Brigade Games version of them!)




The plastic WSS Cavalry will be used to finish off two partially completed cavalry units in my GNW Swedish collection. It has crossed my mind that I could use the plastic figures to create a small force of Russians - but then again, the lovely Ebor figures are still the same price they were two years ago when I was building up the Swedish collection, and if you buy the bulk 5 for 4 deal, they work out at 94p each (plus the bloody postage of course - sigh!)

Anyway, still considering options - I may grab a new Old Glory Army Card and spend the next twelve months buying figures from them at a 40% discount - mind you, they certainly are NOT the same price they were last time I was buying them, mainly because the NZ dollar is crap compared with what it was back in the day - I used to get the 30 figure infantry packs for about NZ$23, now they 2ork out more like NZ$37!

25 comments:

  1. What a nice package! The LotM Warlord figures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice mix of figures there Keith and the movie is a favourite of ours. I vaguely remember a B&W tv version on when I was a kid? I think the FIW lends itself much more to skirmish level actions than set piece battles. I have some Native American figures so could easily do some small games using Rebels & Patriots.

    Since Brexit it has become eye wateringly expensive to order some stuff from Europe, based upon other Blogs I follow. Ditto the US with the hike in postal charges and at times being hit by import duties. We are so lucky to have pretty much everything we need in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, yes, I remember watching the old B&W TV series too, I think it was on late afternoons on either Saturday or Sunday, and seemed to have about twenty episodes!
      I agree about the FIW, although Julian and I played a fun FIW campaign many years ago, using Canadian rules called Habitants and Highlaners, which was great fun ....and still the only real campaign I have played to date!
      I guess we are lucky we can get anything locally really!

      Delete
  3. Nice influx of new figures, old glory used to be an economical option but now it's about the same price for Perry metal cavalry as it is for old glory, post brexit, seems like you've got lots to paint up!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that could well be the case here too Iain. The ever helpful Teresa at OG let me know their flat rate postage is now $95, although I can request they send it USPS at tge best available rate and they will only charge the actual postag. Something else we can thank Pres Trump for, jacking up US postal rates!

      Delete
  4. Many incoming packages headed in your direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, there has been quite a gap since the previous batch though Jon, so it's about time!

      Delete
  5. A decent looking package. Look forward to seeing them painted up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, it may be a little while till I get to them, and being destined for Swedish service, they won't be very exciting, all blue with either orange or yellow facings!

      Delete
  6. Nice purchase Keith. You could always wait until the US stops raising interest rates, when our respective currencies will no doubt increase in value again. Mind you, by then we'll all probably be in a recession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that may be a long wait Lawrence...when I got here in 1988, a UK Pound was worth over three NZ dollars, now it's two....which is good for me when paying in sterling of course! It's the USD the USD that's the problem....

      Delete
  7. Some fine looking toys Keith….
    There is something really nice about the arrival of new toy soldiers… no matter the size of the package.

    All the best… Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Aly, the arrival of new figures is one of the joys of the hobby!

      Delete
  8. Always nice to get new toys. Those LotM sculpts are pretty cool, looking forward to seeing them painted up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, those figures may very well find themselves bumped up the painting queue!

      Delete
  9. Excellent use of the work christmas prezzie. I am very jealous 😊 - no work prezzies for me, just an email from management telling us "to enjoy the christmas holiday period, make sure to spend time with your family, and by the way you are working the New Year's public holiday" 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I work for a pretty good company, the base salaries aren't particularly generous, but it's got a good culture. I recently completed ten years service, so they had a morning tea, then I went out to launch with my boss and a couple of our General Managers, they gave me a $500 Prezztcard (still unspent!) AND I have an extra weeks long service leave I can take when it suits me!
      In previous roles, though, I have been in the position of working Christmas, New Year etc....including New Years Eve 1999/2000....remember Y2K, anyone!

      Delete
    2. For my 10 year anniversary I got an email with a pdf I could print out. 😁 Smaller companies often seem to treat their workers better.
      I remember Y2K and the endless conferences and seminars - and slyly changing the date on the W95 PC to 1 Jan 2000 so we didn't have to fill in any forms. 😊

      Delete
  10. Good for you all round. Definitely some good stuff for your FIW or something else projects. Quite different from the 20mm of the more recent reveal, eclectic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I am certainly feeling the full force of the butterfly effect at the moment! Nice to have new stuff for a variety of periods arriving, and a big Napoleonic Peninsular game coming up on Sunday, so everything is coming up roses here at present!

      Delete
  11. So you did buy them! :-) :-) I know you liked those LotM figures from your comments on my blog recently. They are really nice and I hope you enjoy painting yours up as much as I did with mine. Best wishes, Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jason...now, I will be under pressure to match your painting skills!

      Delete