Wednesday 26 April 2023

Beneath Lilly Banners - Incidents at the Battle of the Boyne Part 3

 The third and final scenario in the three part mini Battle of the Boyne trilogy is called " Last to Leave" and concerns one of the many rearguard actions that were fought by King James' troops to prevent his retreating army from being overrun and destroyed by the victorious Williamite troops.



Once again, I set up my version of the table, substituting every unit for a WSS one. As I only have one Dragoon regiment in my collection, I substituted the dismounted dragoons with musket armed infantry!

Once again, some of the lighting in these images isn't great but hey, its a garage!


View from behind the Jacobite lines on Donore Hill. Some of the scenery (the walls to be precise) was purpose made in the 24 hours leading up to the game.


A view from the Williamite lines, looking south towards the Jacobite defensive position on the slight rise.

Lord Dongan's Dragoons on the extreme right of the Jacobite position


Lord Clare's Dragoons. lining the wall of Donore cemetery

 Un named Commanded Shot unit to the left.


And finally, Hugh Sutherlands Horse


On the Williamite side, the units are, on the left, a squadron of William Wolseley's Horse


 Then, Albert Conynghams Dragoons


William Wynne's Dragoons


And on the right, another squadron of William Wolseley's Horse


The white marker is to remind me the unit should be ten, not nine, strong, I will remove the marker when these units suffer their first casualty.


In the first couple of moves, the Jacobite's stood implacably as they watched the enemy advance slowly towards them across the uneven, bogey ground. Meanwhile, the Williamites reorganized, moving the left-wing horse over to the right, to reinforce the other wing, whilst the dismounted dragoons advanced obliquely towards Donore Hill.


Hugh Sutherlands Horse watch the developing attack.


The first shots were exchanged between Wynne's Dragoons and the commanded shot. Meanwhile, seeing how the Williamite deployment was developing, Lord Dongan's dragoons were ordered to advance off the hill and pivot to their left, to bring Conynghams under fire.


As each unit came within range, the Irish meadow resounded to thunderous volleys of musketry. Half the commanded shot in the orchard were cut down, despite having the benefit of soft cover. The combined return fire of the Jacobite dragoons also made some holes in their opponents' lines.


As the smoke cleared, the Williamites stood, rooted to the spot, as if temporarily unmanned by the galling fire (they rolled a 1 and got zero command actions this turn!) Their opponents, however, seemed equally non plussed, with only one unit maintaining their composure (they rolled 2 and only had a single order) Another volley roared out, but as the smoke cleared, it was obvious the Lord Dongan's dragoons had snapped off a nervous shot, as no effect could be discerned on the nearby Williamites (they rolled 3 dice but got no hits!)


As the Williamites congratulated each other on the poor marksmanship of Dongan's men, and the Jacobite's seemed to lose heart, it was Wynne's dragoons who now seized the initiative, advancing to within effective range of the commanded shot above them on Donore Hill. A crashing volley rang out, but this time, the soft cover of the fence and hedges came to the Jacobite's aid, and not a man fell!


The lull on the field evaporated as quickly as it had appeared, and both sides exchanged volleys, as casualties fell left and right amongst all the foot soldiers.


Meanwhile on the Jacobite left, Sutherlands Horse perceived the advancing Williamite dragoons had an exposed flank, and with a wild Irish yell, they charged down from the hill intent on destruction. However, the Williamite horse of Wolseley's first squadron was already in motion with a charge of their own, and the two opposing horsemen clattered into each other before the Jacobite's could reach the exposed foot soldiers. Seeing an opportunity, the second squadron of Wolseley's cavalry moved forwards and joined the melee, swinging the balance in the Williamites favour and after a bloody struggle with sword and pistol, Sutherlands men were broken, the majority lying dead on the field as the victorious troopers of Wolseley's squadrons reined in, to reform and catch their breath. 


Whilst the horse had been battling it out on their right, Wynne's dragoons, impervious to their close brush with disaster, finally wiped out the last of the commanded shot, and advanced up Dunmore Hill.


Lord Clare's Jacobite dragoons in the cemetery reacted to this advance, but as they did so, an enormous volley crashed out to their right, and looking down, they perceived that their colleagues of Dongan's troop had just been grievously wrecked by the firing from Conynghams.


Wynne's Dragoons storm onto Donore Hill, with the victorious Williamite horse to their left rear and Conyghams dragoons to the right


Lord Clare's regiment turns to face the direction of the threat.


Wolseley's Horse reform after their exertions


Final situation as the Williamites prove the winners again. Seems like Great Britain may be destined for a change of ruling dynasty and a Protestant Ascendancy?

Well, another grand little scenario that I enjoyed playing out. FYI, this game was played with the "new" version of the rules - I worked out I have V1 and V2 of BLB and it is V3 that uses the D6 D8 D10 etc for different troop qualities. However, I also found three double sided, laminated BLB QRS in one of my drawers, which turned out to be from V3, so on the assumption that most of the core rules won't have changed, I played the game using the V1 rule book (about thirty pages instead of a hundred and ninety in V2) but using the different dice, depending on the quality of the troops (in fact, as they were all "Drilled", they all used a D8, needing a 6 for a casualty if firing). They got extra D8 for being drilled, having flintlock muskets etc, but in many cases the number of firing dice were halved due to either the range being over effective (8") or the target being in cover - in general, most units rolled between 2-4 D8 each time they fired.

There were a couple of turns where not a lot happened, as both sides rolled quite poorly for activations, although strangely, it seemed to balance out, and when the Jacobite's got a 10 allowing them to activate all their units (when the cavalry attempted to charge the dismounted dragoons) the Williamites rolled an 8, meaning they could activate three of their four units. Things might have been a lot different if Hugh Sutherlands horse had managed to hit Wynne's dismounted dragoons, rather than coming face to face with the charging troopers of William Wolseley (I don't know, but probably some kind of distant relative!)

I do have some more of these 4 Play scenarios, but the later versions seem to have suffered from "scope creep" and be larger affairs on a 4 x 4 table, which I do not have - however, having played these three games, I can see how I might be able to split the 4 x 4 games into two or three 2 x 2 ones, so I may well have a go at that, although next solo game, I think I will try my theory that the "Devil to Pay" rules would give a good solo encounter, and pull out some different troops to have a play!

In the meantime, I have a large scale FtF game in the offing this coming Sunday at Barrys place, when my Napoleonic Portuguese will be in action alongside Spanish and British allies in a Peninsular stoush - should be fun, I hope!

27 comments:

  1. The Williamite juggernaut seems unstoppable!

    I see that more 4Play scenarios were just released, so I might have a glance at them as the concept is intriguing. No clue if the rules have changed much between V1 and V3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. The newer ones seem to be larger...in fact, I recognised one that I played against my mate Nick three or four years ago (see 3 Feb 2021 post for details). That's definitely a full scale game four two or more players....or you need several hours to play it! Personally, I wish they had stuck to the 2x2 concept, but I guess it has a limited appeal and market...

      Delete
  2. This is a good one, Keith. Well told. These games seem to fit into Norm’s small, pocket armies in small places theme very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I tried to put a bit of effort into the narrative this time! There only so many blow by blow explanations of the rules that my readers can take, I suspect! I agree, I think these scenarios would suit the wargaming in small spaces concept perfectly.

      Delete
  3. Lovely narrative Keith. Very enjoyable. Glad the rules and scenarios are working for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Richard, I refer you to my previous reply above 🙂

      Delete
  4. Another great game. Rules seem to fit solo play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I think so, and I have pretty much played both sides as I would in an FtF game, I believe!

      Delete
  5. Another nice AAR Keith. I think the more that is recorded in terms of blow by blow, the better it is in years to come when you look back and try to remember what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I agree; although, will I ever look back....perhaps! My comments were more around a blow by blow description of the mechanics of the rules and multiple pics of dice scores! I think that can probably get a bit tiresome for some, or perhaps not?

      Delete
  6. Another fine game Keith, but shame you can't fit a 4' x 4' table in to your gaming space. I think there are som changes to the rules with V3, but nothing significant, more of tidying and clarifying etc. The biggest change is moving to the D6, D8 etc as far as I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - after thirty years of no games at home, I am happy with 2x2 at this stage - don't want to push my luck! I think you are correct about V3 of BLB - I can discern its pretty much the same, from what's on the QRS I have - and if I got a few things wrong, who cares - it was a good game, so we will just call any mistakes "house rules"!

      Delete
  7. Good looking game, best sort of AAR . I grinned at the elegant substitute of unit's foor those unavailable. So civilized a solution. BTW, watching for more GNW k action for yourself Swedes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry the typos, for not foor. 5 am typing is treacherous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - typos duly excused - 5am IS very early!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed that Keith. Just bought a couple of the 4play packs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear, OB - as noted, the earlier ones suit me better, but I will have a go at splitting the later games into smaller component encounters, if I can!

      Delete
  10. An excellent game in a nice compact footprint: good stuff! Always great to see this increasingly more popular period gamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed - I could easily be tempted to invest in YET ANOTHER collection, and get actual figures intended for this era - always fancied the Front Rank models but they seem to have had a sharp price increase since moving over to Gripping Beast.....

      Delete
  11. oooh- Very nice!! I just placed my order. Thanks for sharing. ( Barry will be happy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John - I noticed earlier today that I may have missed an AAR or two on your blog recently - will rectify that shortly!

      Delete
  12. Interesting stuff Keith I might search out these little scenarios or perhaps the larger ones ? I like the idea of having them linked together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Having looked at a couple of others I have, I think this trio may be the best! "The Long Road East" (GNW winter campaign 1708-09) starts with a skirmish level game involving the Swedes rescuing a wounded officer, then one with Cossacks v Russians (I assume the Cossacks were allied with the Swedes?) and the third is storming a defensive position....not quite as inspiring as the Boyne ones, to my way of thinking.

      Delete
  13. Nice compact action and entertaining AAR!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I am pleased you were entertained 🙂

      Delete
  14. These small scenarios seem to have enough going on to keep you entertained and coming back for more. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple things please simple minds Stew...I am referring to myself, before anyone takes to social media to express how offended they are by that statement!

      Delete