Saturday 22 April 2023

Beneath Lilly Banners - Incidents at the Battle of the Boyne Part 2

I did consider calling this post "Playing with myself in the garage again" - it probably would have increased the view count but might have put off some of the people I actually want to attract to my blog! 

As it is ANZAC Day on Tues 25 April, I took Mon 24th as an annual leave day, giving me another 4-day weekend - yay! The weather forecast seems to be pants till Tuesday, so no walks or garden chores - oh dear, how sad, never mind! Today after a cafe coffee with the wife, I set up my 2 x 2 table for the second of the 4 Play mini scenarios based on incidents at the Battle of the Boyne - "Flashing Blades"



Once again, with the exception of the Dutch guards, I had to substitute all the troops involved! The Protestant infantry were all Dutch WSS regiments and the Catholic cavalry were Danish WSS - I chose a red coated unit for the Elite Kings Lifeguard (I noticed after I got them out, they are actually mounted dragoons, but I let it go - I am not that anal/OCD!)

I have to put a disclaimer here - some of the following images are not great. the lighting in our garage when its crap weather outside isn't the best - and my phones screen seems to be on its last legs, so I could not really see how the pics would turn out till I loaded them onto my lap top - bit like the old days when you took a picture on a film camera, and you did not know what it was like till a month later when the film was printed for you!

The first image was timed about 1110 and the last 1230, so roughly an hour and a half to play out solo.


Very dodgy image of the initial set up - Dutch Foot Guards to the left of the line (unusually, now I think about it!)


Two squadrons of Tyrconnells Horse on the Catholic right opposite the Dutch


The Kings Lifeguards with The Duke of Berwick and Patrick Sarsfield



The Williamite forces, from the left - Gard te Voet (as I just read the scenario again now, I realised, these should have been DANISH Garden til Fods...which I actually do have - BUGGER!)


Regiment Funen


Regiment de Caillemotte (French Huguenots)


Regiment de Cambon (as above :))


Ready for the off


The cavalry activated three of their four squadrons and advanced 12" (I decided not to scale the distances back to cm this time, just to see how it went)


The Williamite infantry, fresh from a dooking in the icy cold waters of the Boyne, shuffled forward (one unit activated). In the second turn, the cavalry only managed to activate one unit, so the Tyrconnell squadron that failed to move last time, trotted forward to fill the gap.


In the third turn the infantry activated half their force, the cavalry ALL of theirs - in we go! Tyrconnells two squadrons charge the infantry to their front, The Guards elect to shoot as they come in and scored two hits, removing a base (I decided just to do that, even though Mr Hilton would prefer me not to - its just easier to keep track and less clutter of recording hits - its also easier for me as I don't have the figures based as per the BLB protocols, so I can remove "parts" of bases, effectively!)


All units passed their morale tests (to make and receive charges) with flying colours, and the calculation for the first close combat was 4 x D6 to the infantry, 7 to the cavalry, needing a 4 5 or 6 to hit. The cavalry won 4 to 3 so the casualty table of a win by 1 is 2 dead attackers and 3 dead defenders.


The Guards rolled 5 for their morale test after combat, which was a pass, without even adding the extras for being guard, having support AND having the commander within 12"! Not so the cavalry, who were down to 1/3 of their original number and were not elite - they broke off combat and retired (they routed actually!)


On to the second charge. The Regiment Funen's colonel had held his fire, allowing extra D6 in the melee phase - the dice here were 5 for the infantry and 8 again for the cavalry.


The infantry rolled very well but again, the cavalry won by one - so casualty count was the same as last time - 2 off the attackers and 3 off the defenders, both units passed morale tests and the melee continued.


I guess the above is what the rules want to avoid - after the second round, which the cavalry won by 1 again, the infantry were at half strength (still looks ok in my opinion) but the cavalry were down to one third (and now only amount to a single base)


On the subsequent morale test, the doughty Williamite infantry passed again, but the decimated cavalry had had enough, and joined their colleagues heading for Dublin (or wherever...)


Turn 4, I ignored the fact that half the cavalry force was now broken - perhaps there is a force morale test I should have taken, but I wanted to carry on with the game - so the Kings Lifeguards both charged! Both infantry units rolled poorly for the test to receive and stood, shaken. The result in the melee dice was 3 for the infantry and 10 for the cavalry! The first squadron won by 6! This caused 2 losses to them and 8 on the Regiment de Caillemotte - but the stubborn Huguenots passed their test and stood!


 In the second round of combat, D6 were halved, so it was 5 -2 in favour of the cavalry. This time, they won by 3 points, the cavalry lost another two and the infantry another six I think but again, they stood firm!


The very staunch Regiment de Caillemotte before the final combat, which they won. The cavalry squadron ceased to exist and the infantry were down to a single stand of three from the original 18 figures! That is what religious zealotry can do for your morale!


The final combat between the second squadron of Lifeguards was more one sided and the Regiment de Cambon were less motivated than their neighbours, failing a morale test badly after losing the initial round of combat, they bolted rearwards, towards the River Boyne!


At this point though, I decided enough was enough - the Lifegaurds might have been able to take out the few survivors of the Regiment de Caillemotte, but even as winners, they would lose another two figures, and they had little to no chance of prevailing against the right wing of the infantry force, who were both still in reasonable shape after seeing of Tyrconnells Horse earlier in the fight.


The infantry had obviously been left in a position where they could advance at least one unit to the halfway point, so the game ended here with a win for the Williamites!


What I am currently painting - Warlord plastic ECW donated by Rick.


Why a picture of two books? Well, they were on the table under the base cloth as the higher ground the cavalry started on, so I just took a superfluous pic before putting them away after clearing the table!

I really enjoyed how that played out once again, so look out for part three of this mini-series in the near future! There is also a similar set for the Swedes in Russia, so that will be on the cards too!

33 comments:

  1. Nifty little compact scenario and your troops look superb, Keith! I have the 19thC book and it is a good resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon ...... these mini 4 play games are just right in size and length for me, as a solo game! Yes, they are great books, I have the AWI one too, but only in PDF which isn't really the same......

      Delete
  2. Great scenario Keith, what a great way to spend a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, I agree with all your points!

      Delete
  3. The mini scenarios are a good way to set up play a quick game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fine little scenario to get to grips with the rules, which is what they are probably intended for. I do like my 2' x 2' games which with my 10mm figures allow for a fairly decent small sized battle. I must try these rules out with something like this just to see how they compare to using BPII and the appropriate supplement, which luckily has Barry Hilton playing a game set during this period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, 10mm would certainly allow more scope on this size of table, as would Ray' s recent 2mm forces.

      Delete
  5. Still can’t believe these games are on a 2 x 2 board - fantastic. Slight whiff of cowardice in your choice of blog post title mind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I as quite dubious about them when I saw the size of the playing area JBM, but so far, they have worked quite well! Discretion is the better part of valour, and all that!

      Delete
  6. Agree, great looking scenario sir!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great little scenario, perfect for a few spare hours gaming

    ReplyDelete
  8. Entertaining report Keith. The scenario worked well. Time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I am thinking I can look at designing a few of my own with different eras and collections, now I have played these as proof of concept!

      Delete
  9. Great looking game Keith and an excellent way to while away a wet weekend. And a reminder that a game does not need to be big to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Ben - I guess in a perfect world, I would prefer a 6 x 4 table with a real live opponent or two, but these mini solo games are a pretty good second!

      Delete
  10. Commiserations on being beaten again. You came so close, but at least you won.
    I think I enjoy a small game as much as a large one. It's great to have the entire thing in view (and in a single photo). This one looked beaut!

    Imagine how few photos would be on blogs if we had to get them printed (and then digitised). It's amazing how simple it has become (and how much better the average phone camera is than most point and shoot cameras were back then).
    Nothing wrong with playing with yourself either :)
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James - it is quite amazing how far technology has come, since we were all young! Mind you, changes have been more dramatic, and not that long ago, We met a guy at a function about twenty years ago who had driven cattle out of Auckland city the 1930's on horseback, like a wild west cowboy, travelling between towns that are now just suburbs of the city! My wife had an aunt who died a few years back at age 104, who was born before anyone had ever flown, but died after man had been to the moon - amazing, really!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, those born around the turn of the 20th century saw amazing changes from horses and cart to supersonic planes, candles to kero lamps to elec-trickery, telegraph to telephone to mobile, wireless, tele, computer, space flight, nukes...

      Delete
  11. I have several of these scenarios but have never gotten round to playing them and haven't seen/heard of any either - so you've inspired me to dig them out and take another look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stuart, nice to see you make a comment. I have had the scenarios for 3-4 years I guess, but I only realised quite recently they were on a 2 x 2 table, which is all I can currently accommodate at home. I have been bereft of gaming opportunities recently, so have been motivated to explore solo options, and I rediscovered these scenarios - which so far have worked out very well. I would certainly recommend giving them a go!

      Delete
  12. An hour an a half sounds like my type of game. Perfect for a quick scenario on a weekday evening. I too have taken Monday off in an effort to turn the ANZAC day observance into a four-day weekend, but I'll no doubt get a few phone calls from staff who haven't checked the diary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it suits me quite well too Lawrence. Solo games won't ever replace face to face, which is as much about the social interaction with a group of mates as the game, but I have quite enjoyed my foray into the genre and think it will probably continue. Now I have experienced a couple of small historical games, I may look at doing my own scenarios, as I mentioned to Richard above.

      Delete
  13. nice use of a 4 day weekend. 2 x 2 seems really small but at least it can all fit in one photo. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the many upsides of such a small table, Stew!

      Delete
  14. Lovely looking game seemed to rattle along nicely and good look warlord plastic wip!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, the mini scenario us have been great fun and just the right size/length for solo play!

      Delete
  15. Another lovely little scenario Keith…
    As the others have said it is hard to imagine that you can get so much action on a 2’x2’ board…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly and I agree, particularly in 28mm! But as long as it's just three or four units per side, it seems to work well. More to come....soon!

      Delete