Sunday 20 February 2022

RCW Bolshevik Army Parade

 A few posts ago, Dai at The Lost, the Damned and the Stunted blog, suggested he would like to see a parade of my full RCW Bolshevik collection - so here it is!

Unfortunately, the images are not all the best as I failed to remember, last time I did an army parade, that the best way to have the figures facing is towards the window, not into the dining/kitchen area - so the best photos are from the rear.

I was a bit pressed for time and so did not re-orientate the entire collection - which is obviously what I should have done!

Anyway, you get an idea of the size of the forces. What was interesting to me was, if I use 7 bases as a standard sized unit, I have several spare command and LMG stands - so obviously, although I started the collection using 7 stands per unit, as our colleague Rick uses in his SCW collection, I must have adjusted to fit in with how Julian is doing his units.

This is a collection that expect will continue to expand in small increments over time - I have an order in via Julian with Siberia miniatures for some additional stuff, including their very nice looking field gun - so when that order arrives, I will have gone from no artillery to two in a short period of time.






Viewed from the rear - much clearer image .....sigh!



The cavalry is Old Glory WWI Russian in 25mm - they work fine though




HMG's are Siberia (centre) and Old Glory again. Field gun is recently added Copplestone Back of Beyond range


The "extra" command and LMG stands...



"Home made" armoured cars using Matchbox Yesteryear models as the basis


Old Glory resin armoured car and Whippet tank


Warbases mdf and card Tchanka



And finally, a small parcel arrived from Caliver on Friday 18 Feb - posted in UK on the fourth, so pretty good transit time.




A few extras for the long anticipated Pulp Project. I thought some skeleton warriors who might emerge from a disturbed ancient burial site might be a fun idea.... the first three have been assembled so should grace the pages of this blog in the not too distant future!

40 comments:

  1. Now, this is a fine parade! Did your Brigade Games order ever show up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon....and unfortunately, NO, despite several follow up emails and entries on the Brigade CRM system asking for some kind of update, the silence from Lon has been deafening. I have told him, I won't give up on it...I might even figure out if I can contact his local state Fair Trading/Consumer Protection agency and lodge a complaint against him....or possibly talk to my bank about reversing the payment I made to him...pain in the ass to be honest but his customer relations are SH1T! My friend Rick also had issues with him a couple of years back and has not bought from him since....

      Delete
  2. A terrific collection Keith, I always love seeing a tachanka. I too was wondering about your Brigade Games order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, it's a great period, hence the reason I am likely to continue adding the odd batch of figures to it. As for Brigade Games...see comments above to Jon.

      Delete
  3. They look great Keith! Not my period but they make me think…..I’ve got a pack of Russians in those pointy hats….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks NDK.....that sounds like you have the start of a new project to me....look forward to seeing them painted! 😄

      Delete
  4. Outstanding army. Fascinated by the period and I have never seen anyone doing an army for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, there seem to be a few RCW collections here and there in the blogosphere. It is a fun period, still some cavalry and colour flags, but with armoured trains, tanks and aircraft too!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Michal. My gaming buddy Julian has got very interested in the 1920 Russo Polish War and has ordered a substantial number of Polish figures from Siberia Miniatures....so watch this space, one day, they will likely be taking on my Bolshevik hordes!

      Delete
  6. Great to see the army on parade. A fine collection. A period I often looked into, but so far resisted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, not dissimilar to the SCW, although closer to WWI, whereas the SCW is of course more like the precursor to WWII.....

      Delete
  7. a particularly nice collection, love the cavalry command figure in the 7th Photo, great facial expression. Flags and the range of vehicles are really eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, like most of my collections, it would be nice to get them on the table a bit more frequently.....

      Delete
  8. Never mind the quality feel the width (though the quality is excellent). Much more there than I thought. That’s quite an army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM, I doubt they have ever all been on the table together at one time.....and if the Brigade Games order mentioned in the first couple of posts above had actually arrived, there would be around sixty more infantry!

      Delete
  9. Very nice parade! Formidable looking force- love those 'armoured' cars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I had some fun disassembling the Matchbox models and adding armour and turrets to them!

      Delete
  10. KIETH,
    That is some Army- I didn't realize you had so many figures and Vehicles too - very impressive! Keep up the good work. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, these collections kind of sneak up on you...the RCW figures fill four A4 box files now, more or less.

      Delete
  11. B****r me that’s a lot of figures Keith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's a lot less than your FPW German collection Mark😊

      Delete
  12. Wow, that is impressive. I like the eclectic mix of models , especially the vehicles. If you set your Pulp game in the era, what a range of choice for characters as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe....Soviets is one nationality I have not included in the Pulp Project so far....would only need one pack of ten Copplestone figures to rectify that omission, as I already have plenty of individually based character figures.....food for thought there!

      Delete
  13. You've started buying "actual" fantasy figures?? Thin end of the wedge, I'd say, old chap!
    (Again you should have asked me - I have many spares)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marvelous array of troops and vehicles, Keith! Great to see the whole army together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great parade of troops and vehicles there Keith. The whole post-war period is very attractive on many levels. Let's hope they get to spend more time on the table in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, that's what I am hoping too!

      Delete
  16. A splendid parade Keith…
    I’ve always thought that this was an interesting period and of course it ties in well with your Pulp project and all things Back of Beyond.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, it certainly does tie in well with the Pulp/BoB ideas! IF the Brigade Games figures EVER arrive, I might do a squad of ten as a Russian contingent - I already have plenty of individual character figures I could use

      Delete
  17. Wow! Thanks for showing the whole collection off! They look superb sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all for your benefit Dai so I am pleased you liked the show.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thanks Doc, and nice to see a new name leaving a comment!

      Delete
  19. Nice! Everyone loves a miniature parade. I always feel a sense of accomplishment when a collection reaches a certain size. I would fell very accomplished if I were you. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, but I would feel more accomplished if they were being used in games a bit more frequently!

      Delete
  20. Looks great Keith, the flags really bring the period to the collection.
    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu - yes as both I and others have noted, the big red flags are a nice touch in this era - and they may even be historically accurate!

      Delete