Wednesday 28 December 2022

Another Walk - and some SCW Progress

 Weds 28 Dec and another beautiful hot sunny day, so we headed about 2 hours SE of Auckland to a walk we half completed a few years back. At the time my wife was wearing strapping on one of her knees, and the knee played up a bit on the first part of the journey, so we turned back at the halfway point. Today, with no injuries, there was nothing to prevent us completing the walk successfully!



The sign says it all really - on our first attempt, we only made it to the Lower Lookout!


Some impressive bush....



.... boulders.......



.....and climbs, took us, in about 35 minutes, to the first lookout.


The very impressive Wairere Falls





A bit of a scramble on the first part of the second section of the walk



And more bloody stairs!


But the second lookout, at the top of the falls, was worth the effort








And back home midafternoon, for a well-deserved reward!


Now, some wargaming content. I have had it in mind for a few weeks now to create some 20mm buildings with a specific Spanish feel to them. Having followed the progress of Ray on his" Dont Throw a 1" blog, I decided to copy the designs of his mdf buildings from the "Empires of War" range, adapting the measurements to hopefully suit 20mm as opposed to 28mm.


Thanks to work throwing out large numbers of old ring binders recently, I have a fair store of thick card stock in hand for basing and building purposes!


Aerial view of building work so far


A Spanish style church


Roofless small house with 20mm figure for scale


Larger farmhouse


A partially completed three story town house.

More work has been done on these since the pics were taken, and hopefully I will have a small village worth of building ready in the next few days.

24 comments:

  1. Another round of sunny and warm looking photos to make us in North America very envious. Beautiful country. I like your buildings too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, anything I can do to help you through the current extreme winter, I am happy to do!

      Delete
  2. Great photos as always Keith, but I must admit my asthma had a twinge when I saw all those stairs, talk less of my gammy knees! Still beautiful scenery to enjoy on a very wet and windy day here in Bristol.

    I'm a sucker for scratch built stuff, so am looking forward to seeing how these houses progress:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, yes, it was a bit of a scramble in places and I am certainly expecting to be feeling it a bit tomorrow!
      Don't expect too much from my scratch building, I don't have the patience our mate Mark has!

      Delete
  3. Very nice looking country walk, glad to see someone getting out!! Watching your scratchbuild efforts with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I am happy to spread a little bit of sunshine to my less fortunate brethren!

      Delete
  4. Some stunning countryside. Look forward to seeing the end results of your Spanish village

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, hopefully, the buildings do the job when completed.

      Delete
  5. That's it Keith, I'm on the plane! Amazing countryside, and a good looking start on the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard.....if you want a bit more on NZ from a genuine tourists point of view, check out the last three or four posts on JJs Wargames blog...the author has really pulled out all the stops on his descriptions of his travels here!

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you getting along with some card Buildings - it is very rewarding to do- so far so good Kieth...would like to see the final results of your work later on. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the words of encouragement Kev, I don't think my buildings will be up to your standards, but hopefully they will do the job well enough!

      Delete
  7. You've certainly got some beautiful places near you Keith. Lovely photos. Promising looking buildings. I think I'd find card a bit fiddly with my cack-handedness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, we certainly have a lot of scenery here in NZ, but the downside is, very little history! The advantage of card is when I cock things up (which happens with monotonous regularity) it's very easy to fix or redo!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful hike.

    Your building progress reminds me to start some for my SCW fellows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, I will look forward to seeing some SCW on your blog then.....what scale are you using?

      Delete
    2. 20mm - 1/72. That project is at a bit of a low ebb at the moment though; maybe I can make something happen in the coming year.

      Delete
    3. Ok cool...that will be of particular interest to me then, given my SCW is also in that scale!

      Delete
  9. Nice work on the buildings Keith. Looking at those stairs makes my knees hurt. Some lovely scenery there though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence, hoping to get these finished or near to it today. The stairs on these walks are always quite daunting - so far, my knees are fine, its generally my lungs/heartrate that gets up there - around 140bpm yesterday - but my recovery rate is still pretty good!

      Delete
  10. A beautiful looking walk Keith …
    I must admit I felt tired just looking at those steps…
    A nice start to your buildings as well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly....both of us have been feeling the effects of those steps the last couple of days!

      Delete