Saturday 10 December 2022

SCW Armoured Reinforcement Arrive!

 A mere 16 days after ordering - 22 Nov to 8 Dec - these very nice Minairons additions arrived "en mi casa"! To be honest, I could have gone mad and bought twice as many, as the Minairons site has some lovely artillery, tank. armoured car and truck models - but with current NZD/Euro exchange rates, I managed to restrict myself to these few purchases. Perhaps, in the new year, another small-ish order shall be made - we will see. In the meantime, I am very happy with these models. The detail is crisp. there is virtually no clean up required, the parts fit PERFECTLY (which is rare with wargaming models, in my experience) and they only consisted of a very few parts - win, win and win!



The arrival of this package caused much joy and excitement! My wife sarcastically described it as "another early Christmas present"!



Well packed and wrapped


The contents are revealed


Each assembled model is pictured with its title card, plus a couple of extra images with a dismounted Minairons cavalryman, to give scale





This tank was somewhat smaller than I was expecting!





A "quick assembly" plastic PzKfw I






Another itsy bitsy little tank!



And lastly, a rather more substantial armoured car


I really like the look of this vehicle - very reminiscent of Russian designs, I think?



Finally, in discussion with Andrew a week or two ago, I reminded myself that my mate Rick had donated three WWI "jeeps" to the cause, a few years ago. There was confusion on all sides with these - Rick saw them half price on some UK store that was closing down and purchased them on spec, expecting them to be 28mm. Turns out, they were actually 20mm!


He then mentioned to me that he had "three 20mm jeeps" I might have a use for - I instantly agreed - but when they were duly handed over, I realised my error - I had been anticipating WWII vehicles!


So, the three have languished in a "drawer of shame" for several years since, until a fortnight ago, I realised I could probably use circa 1917 British military vehicles for Spain, circa 1935 - and started the assembly process. I have filed down the sun helmet and will paint it dark green - I think in this scale, I can get away with creating the impression of an Adrian helmet!


And to finish off this post for tonight, at the request of Steve J in Bristol, an image of our back yard about 1730 this evening, in the midst of torrential rain, accompanied by loud peals of thunder ..... sigh. Still waiting for our summer to start......it's warm enough though - and to be fair, it had been quite sunny earlier on in the day. I just didn't take a picture :)


Thanks for the visit and TRIPLE thanks for leaving a comment!

39 comments:

  1. A great haul of vehicles. Look forward to seeing them painted up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty....that should not be too far away!

      Delete
  2. lots of nice stuff Keith and nothing wrong with early Christmas presents I’m getting a few as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt....the Minairons gear is very good indeed.

      Delete
  3. Smashing models Keith, I’ve had a few of their 1:600 ships and they really are great quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM.....most of the kits are a mix of resin and 3D printed parts, plus the odd bit in metal. They really are very tidy.

      Delete
  4. A nice varied stash. I never realised that the Minairons stuff was so ‘fast build’ excellent and visiting their site now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agh! Get thee behind me Satan! Seeing all these vehicles has got me thinking about the SCW again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I was just thinking that you must be basking in Summer sun now!

      Delete
    2. Go on, Chris....DO IT, you know you want to! As to sunny weather.....if only!

      Delete
  6. A great selection of vehicles there Keith and the variety of kits on offer is one of the great attractions of the SCW IMHO. That is good going on the delivery front and I wish it was as fast here, but our on going Royal Mail strikes are causing mayhem with deliveries. Our local sorting office is packed full and in fact has cages and cages of undelivered mail awaiting delivery.

    For once it is nice to see that we are having some nice sunny, cold and crisp weather whilst you are having rain. I'm sure normal service will be resumed soon;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, yes I have been seeing on BBC Wotld a lot of stories about postal strikes as well as the railways....sounds like the good old days of my youth when Thatcher was in Number Ten!
      The weather here has been the most consistently crap I have experienced in a long time...its been worse than winter and honestly, I think there has been thunder approximately every three days or so for the last six weeks! It's not that cold most of the time, but it's wet, windy and miserable most days.

      Delete
  7. Nice Vehicle Models Kieth- you'll certainly have an enjoyable Christmas painting up the new arrivals. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, I expect these will be done and dusted well before Christmas though!

      Delete
  8. Looks like a good haul! My wife is the same way all year round when I get a package - it's me getting an "Early/Late Christmas present."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! I do find those comments a bit irritating, given I might have eight to ten parcels per year, whereas the rest of the family each have the same number per month! I have been working from home for over a month and it's a rare day there isn't at least one courier delivery!

      Delete
  9. Early Christmas present, indeed! Excellent reinforcement pack! There are some odd looking vehicles in this lot.

    Here, I am buried in more than a foot of snow with another half foot expected today. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, my sentiments exactly! One of the attractions of the interwar period are the rather odd looking vehicles, the plethora of light and medium British tanks of the thirties being another (thus far unexplored) example).
      You win on the annoying weather front. As I mentioned to Tradgardmaster over on his post about a dusting of snow in Edinburgh, even after thirty five years, I remember what an inconvenience snow and ice is, despite looking quite cool ( no pun intended!)

      Delete
  10. Great looking collection there and very fast delivery for this time of year. Excellent back yard there as well with a nice table for some outside games when the sun comes out 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, yes I was pleasantly surprised by the two week delivery...I was half expecting not to see these till 2023!
      It was dry earlier in the say, so I had been able to get the grass cut, so the garden doesn't look too bad!

      Delete
  11. A nice haul of vehicles Keith. I have often seen Minairons advertisements and wondered what their vehicles looked like. Summer has not completely fallen on us yet. We did have a 35 degree day last week, and then it dropped by ten degrees the following day. I much prefer New Zealand summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything about the Minairons range is great Lawrence....as long as you want 20mm!
      35 deg is too hot for me I think, even if it is so called dry heat rather than the humid type we have here!

      Delete
  12. Great looking armored cars, Keith. They should be good fun on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice delivery Keith. Always important to receive those essential supplies.
    Not sure I'd easily get into any of those vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, and no, a lot of the interwar armoured vehicles seem on the rather cramped side to me, too! The Chevrolet armoured car might be ok, but the rest are pretty diminutive, for sure.

      Delete
  14. A fine collection of new armour Keith…
    I love all the quirky vehicles that were around in the 30’s.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure that the WWI vehicles will fit in nicely with the SCW--there were so many things pressed into use, as I understand it, so why not exercise a bit of license? Expecting the first snow flurries of the season on this end of the world: might actually even be a white Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to be thinking along the same lines, Ed! The snow seems early this year, at least in the UK, and also unusually far south, or at least, the very low temps are hitting London and the South East too. Normally, the snow doesn't arrive till Jan and Feb.

      Delete
  16. What a motley collection! I really like these designs and yes, very reminiscent of Soviet designs. Looking forward to seeing these painted up!

    We have had substantial rain (for Northern California) these past few days which is very welcome. Our winters have been so dry these past fifteen years..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, I know you say "motley" in a respectful and caring way ! 😄
      Re the weather, it's an ill wind ( pun intended!) and all that.....today, it is a lovely sunny day, at the moment, but I think the outlook for the rest of the week is yet more rain!

      Delete
  17. That is a great delivery Keith… nice to see some sun today…albeit for only a few days until the rain returns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark...yes, unexpectedly quick for this time of year. It certainly is a lovely day but apparently you are correct...it's only a brief interlude before the next batch of rain!

      Delete
  18. Quite the fleet Keith, they will look great on the table.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu...they are all painted so I should really take some pics

      Delete