Friday 30 December 2022

Last But One for 2022!

 Not a lot tonight but my aim is to achieve 132 posts in 2022, my highest annual total, and this is number 131 - so expect another same time tomorrow!

I have made a bit of progress on the SCW buildings, after popping into a local Resene paint store yesterday and buying an appropriate test pot to use on the main walls of the buildings - I figure I can vary it sufficiently by adding some ochre etc to ensure not every building is exactly the same colour.



The buildings completed so far are below. They have pantile roofs printed on our laser printer at work way back in October!






I will add some embellishments probably and will most likely do a few more, but its a small village I am after, bot street fighting in Madrid or Bilbao, so not too many more will be required.

This has been my reading of choice recently, having finished the RCW tome by the same author, this was ordered up via the local library


And last night, I started watching this movie (with subtitles) on YouTube!


Here is the link to the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHVec8Gl8NA

Finally, today we had a 2.5 hour trip up north to Mangawhai, a holiday seaside destination where old friends have a holiday home (the wife Karen went to school with my wife forty plus years ago!). Husband Nick is from Yorkshire and has been out here since around 1990 (they met and married in the UK). Nick was once upon a time a wargamer and always asks me if I am still "doing it" whenever we meet (which has only been pretty rarely, to be honest). At one point in the mid 90's, I almost dragged him back into the madness - he actually gave me the money to purchase a small Front Rank ECW force (which I painted for him) but nothing came of it unfortunately - the figures remained in my possession, and I still have them to this day!


The view from the deck of their holiday home, looking west onto the Tasman Sea

24 comments:

  1. You're making good progess on those buildings Keith and I did wonder how you were going to tackle the roofs: now I know! Not heard of that film but will check it out, so thanks for the heads up. Beevor's book is great, but the internicene strife within the Republican cause was so frustrating to read about, which greatly added to their downfall IMHO.

    A welcome view of sunny weather there over the Tasman sea, as it's unremittingly wet and grim here:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve..."unremitting grim" is a good description for the Spanish Civil War I would say, and yes, the Inability of the Republicans to work together was a major cause for the loss and a constant frustration to read about. The democracies not having the balls to support the elected government against an armed insurrection didn't help either...a very depressing period of European history....

      Delete
    2. I saw Libertarias at a film festival soon after release in 1996, excellent detail & action sequences, but I can remember the last sequences being the epitome of "unremitting grim" (those used to the over the top misogynistic violence of current stuff such as Game of Thrones might not care, but back then it was gut wrenching)....so viewer discretion etc etc.

      Delete
    3. Yes - very true Andrew - I had not watched the end of it until last night - it was all a bit gory and depressing, but in a strangely understated way - you saw the Moorish troops advancing whilst the girls sat around cleaning their weapons and "gas bagging", but the actual detail was mostly hidden, as it happened whilst the camera was inside the hut with Maria, the ex nun.

      Delete
  2. Those buildings are already looking good before embellishments Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  3. Good progress on the buildings, just add a few walls and vineyards and you are set

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty, we are thinking along the same lines!

      Delete
  4. Good looking village taking shape with the roofs and details. Again thanks for the sunshine photos. Predicted to be near 50 degrees Fahrenheit here today, and there is priming to do. Good luck on #132.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, good news on your weather too! We have another walk planned today, so number 132 is likely to have some more sunny views for you!

      Delete
  5. Your WiP construction is looking very fine, Keith! Beevor's boo on the SCW is a good read. No doubt that you will make Post #132 before year-end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I do find Beevor a good writer

      Delete
  6. Clearly your good wife has not found enough chores for you if you have time to write 132 post Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really lovely looking buildings sir!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The buildings are coming along well Keith. My brother and his wife have a place at Takahoa which is not far away, from Mangawhai. I used to get there at least once a year pre-COVID, if only for a long weekend, so am looking forward to heading there again in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - it certainly is a nice place to have your "country house" but its obviously grown considerably in recent years.

      Delete
  9. Nice buildings Keith! I can see this becoming a whole town! Will check out the film too. One that you might like to watch is "While at War".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John - I have managed to see parts of "While at War" via YouTube but have struggled to find the whole film. I came across another one which seemed to be based on the International Brigade - opening scenes were in the UK and an ambulance, then a young girl going through a box of newspaper clippings from "The Daily Worker" ....then it went back to a group of guys on a train - it was all in Spanish with no subtitles but I assumed it was an old English guy dying and his granddaughter finding out he had fought in the SCW.....

      Delete
  10. The buildings look great and what a fantastic paint colour! Can't go wrong with triple Spanish white! Perfect. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben...Resene test pots are where I get a lot of my figure paint..."Horses Neck" turns out to be a nice khaki green type colour I have used on most of my WWII Brits and RCW Russians 😄

      Delete