Monday 23 October 2023

First 3D Printed Kradschützen Truppen

Kradschützen Truppen motorcycle troops were motorized, lightly armed and highly mobile infantry units of the German Wehrmacht and Waffen SS, usually incorporated into the Panzer Divisions.

The Wehrmacht developed Kradschützen as a rapid mobile assault and reconnaissance force from 1936 onwards, and they were used extensively during the early stages of the Second World War as part of the German Blitzkrieg campaigns (1939-1940) and Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of Russia (June 1941).

As the war changed and the long string of Blitzkrieg successes came to an end, the development of kampfgruppen, panzer grenadier regiments and armoured halftracks meant that large formations of lightly armed Kradschutzen motorcycle troops became obsolete with the soldiers being transferred to other services such as panzer grenadier regiments and kampfgruppen. For the remainder of the war the motorcycles were now relegated to support roles such as dispatch riders, messengers and light reconnaissance etc.

Here is my first Kradschütze (if that's the title) - a single soldier on a solo motorcycle.



There is some great detail available via 3D prints - look at the spokes of the bike's wheels, for example!



The final image is alongside the Warlord SdKfz 251 - I think the scale works pretty well together?


I am currently finishing off another ten-man squad of 1st Corps infantrymen, then, I only have one more group to do, after which, I will move on to the other three 3D printed Kradschützen Truppen, as well as the other 3D stuff I got recently. 

Then, there are a few more 1/56 kits waiting in the wings, including these two I suddenly decided I "needed" from a local online supplier a few days ago!


I hope all is well with you wherever you are reading this, and I welcome your feedback and comments!

40 comments:

  1. Fine sculpt and doubly fine brushwork! All is well here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Jon! I recently read your latest post- sounds like everything there is well, indeed!

      Delete
  2. Excellent looking motorcycle troops, Keith. Didn't they inspire Stalin to add them to the Soviet army too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Dean! I don't know where the inspiration came from, but you can certainly purchase Red Army motorcyclists - Zvezda do then in 1/72 and I have seen 28mm 3D prints too - and also other countries such as France, UK and Poland!

      Delete
  3. That looks a great little model and nicely painted up as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty - I did like them on first sight and now, with some paint, this one is very acceptable indeed!

      Delete
  4. A very impactive model that look like they can be quickly got to the table. I find it amazing the way 3D stuff can be done as a single piece, rather than multi build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Norm - it is beyond me how this kind of thing is possible - I am just glad it is!

      Delete
  5. Superb brushwork on excellent models Keith. You have really done them justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Richard - I am pretty happy with how the first motorcyclist has turned out!

      Delete
  6. 3D prints. We live in an age of miracles. For some reason I especially like the fact that this rider has his sleeves rolled up. He obviously means business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I liked the rolled up sleeves too, JBM!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic result there Keith. They will look great on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, let's home a visit to the tabletop isn't too far off!

      Delete
  8. Great work Keith and the 3D print looks fine next to the half-track. Nice additions with the Pak 36 ATG being a favourite of mine: looks great but next to useless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve 😊 I know what you mean about the little Pak 36 but it's iconic for the Blitzkrieg Era, isn't it? Don't worry, I also have a Flak 36 to deal with nasty big French or British tanks!

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to seeing your kit built Vehicles completed Kieth - all the best. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great. One of the better 3d schools I have seen. And a most excellent paint job too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great motorcyclist! I wish I had something similar, but in metal, for my Red Army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denis! As mentioned, 3D prints are available of Russian motorcyclists, but I have not come across metal examples.

      Delete
  12. Your painting has really brought out the fine detail of the sculpt. I suppose it ultimately comes down to how good the 3D printer is and the material that is used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. Yes, JJG, the supplier I have used, must have a pretty good printer! The material is semi soft, almost like very hard rubber...but I think that is a bonus, as it's way less brittle than something like traditional resin. That's quite important when some parts are a tenth of a mm etc!

      Delete
  13. Nicely done Keith motorcycle looks good. Still not a fan of printed figures though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I really don't mind the 3D figures I have purchased so far...and there are a lot of bits n pieces you can get that way that aren't available elsewhere!

      Delete
  14. Ooo that came out just loverly mate! A whole gaggle of these lads is going to be quite the sight on the tabletop I think.

    Rubicon kits are so nice - if my Soviet Studebaker truck is anything to go by, these two new additions will be excellent once assembled.

    All here is good mate, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to read all is well with you Dai! Yes, by the time I add in the metal figures from 1st Corps, I will have 17 motorcycle riding troopers...although only 9 or 10 motorcycles!
      The Rubicon SdKfz 251 has proved to be a bit of a pain to assemble...the Warlord one was easier! Proof of the pudding will be once it is painted, I guess!

      Delete
  15. I agree Keith, really good detail on those printings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark....I got a couple of Napoleonic figures too...as a trial...they look pretty good as well!

      Delete
  16. Cracking job on this "Kradschütze" !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Painted up nicely, works well with the halftrack too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain... I am very happy with how this collection is progressing!

      Delete
  18. Looking good Keith…
    Your going to have a decent sized Motorcycle Club when you are done.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete