Friday 29 December 2023

Christmas Comes to He Who Waits!

 I mentioned in a previous post (or reply to a comment, perhaps) that each of our four immediate family members had to buy a present for one of the others, the recipient being decided by random, secret drawing of a name from a hat (after a false start when my oh so funny wife put four pieces of paper in the hat, all with her name on them!)

In the redraw, my wife got me, and this is what she bought me - $150 worth of random whiskeys!



Yesterday, after dropping my 95-year-old mother-in-law back home, we had a nice lunch at a cafe in Pukekohe.


Our dog Sam and I had to wait outside - he could not relax while his "mum" was out of sight! For those who are interested, I tell people he is a Japanese Spaniel - he is half Japanese Spitz and half King Charles Spaniel!


Back to the painting table, I have finished off the three 3D Austrian Generals (I still have to decide how I will base them)






And lastly, from the recently painted file, this is the 3D Opel Blitz truck that came with the above figures plus the motorcycle troops a couple of months ago.


I added the Balken Kreuz and number plates from a store of left over Warlord decals I have amassed during my Blitzkrieg kit collecting!




I also have a batch of 3D seated troops who I have stuck on thin transparent plastic stirps, so they can be added and removed quite simply.


I saw another blogger had used the same idea for Soviet tank riders recently - but I independently came up with the idea all by myself - honest!


And so, to the meaning of the post title - ordered locally on 27 Dec with money kindly gifted me for my birthday in August AND for Christmas by my wife's mum, this box arrived on 28 Dec - and yes, there are a FEW more Blitzkrieg bits n pieces in there!


Plus, some cavalry reinforcements for my two main Napoleonic armies - the Austrians will have to wait for their additional donkey wallopers!


Finally, up at friends last night for dinner and some festive cheer of the liquid variety - 


And of course, we had to try one of my Christmas presents too!


It is now (1040 Fri 29 Dec here) poring with rain and my PC says "high winds soon" at the bottom of the screen - so seems like some more time at the painting desk may be the order of the day!

32 comments:

  1. Excellent work on those models Keith, especially the Austrians.
    I hope that your future enjoyment of your liquid present won't impede your brushwork and output.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard - and never fear, I am a grizzled veteran - nothing will impede progress at the paint desk - I am off there now, as it happens!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Richard that your Austrian ADCs are especially nice but so too is your Opel Blitz.

    Nice box of timely reinforcements. You’re living the Good Life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jon - la vie est belle, vraiment!

      Delete
  3. Seasons Greetings! I'm liking those Austrian officers Keith.
    Good old Chivas Regal was the first whiskey that I could drink. Before that the smell put me off. Having 'festive' drinks in mid-Summer seems odd to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris! I must admit, I have caught myself saying "the middle of winter" in lieu of "Christmas" two or three times in the last 6 weeks, even though I have now lived at least a decade longer in NZ than I did in the UK - the brain is a funny thing!
      The Chivas Regal was a pretty nice drop - as we were guests, I thought in more appropriate to provide 18-year-old blended malts rather than the good old Low Flyer (Grouse)!

      Delete
  4. Great looking figures Keith. The seated troops make the truck look great. A lot of extra effort but really worth it.
    Great gift from your wife. Make sure to paint first and then drink. Don't make my mistake of drinking the brush water and cleaning my brush in the wine glass! 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ben - in all meanings of the word! I will take your sound advice - don't drink and paint!

      Delete
  5. What a nice haul you got there Keith from your good wife! Lovely work on the ADC's, ditto on the Opel truck. Plenty of figures to keep you busy in the midst of Winter, sorry Xmas down under;). At least it's good to know it's not always lovely weather there, as yet again we've got gale force winds and rain. Oh for some frosty weather and sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... thanks Steve! Weather here is set to improve hopefully. 🤞

      Delete
  6. Nice to see a napoleonic parcel arrive - much goodness there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, they should keep me occupied for a bit!

      Delete
  7. Whiskey and soldiers it doesn’t get much better, some nice reinforcements 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Matt...hope to get started on some of the arrivals soon.

      Delete
  8. The Austrians look great, but the Opel blitz is my favourite. Also mit's always nice to recieve some extra reinforcements for a project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, I think I like the Opel Blitz best too!

      Delete
  9. Very nice painting of the Austrian figures and truck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having made the shift to bourbon (and now dabbling in scotch whiskey), your opening shot has obscured all else--funny how good booze can do that to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...too much of it can certainly have that effect, Ed! Funnily, I am not really a big spirit drinker, so this gift was a bit of a surprise!

      Delete
  11. Thanks a LOT of whiskey... on the other hand our wine stock is pretty large these days! :-)
    Lovely Austrian Generals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...yes, we have quite a few friends with large wine stocks too Peter!

      Delete
  12. A fine stash of whisky and toys Keith…
    What will get finished first though 🤣.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that a trick question, Aly? The toys, of course, will never be "finished "!

      Delete
  13. Nice work on the Austrians and the truck Keith. A lovely collection of scotch for you to work you way through as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence I have made a start on both the whiskey and the recent arrivals!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, they were greatly appreciated!

      Delete
  15. Wargames figures, liquid refreshments...life is good! All the best for 2024!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot John - and the same to you!

      Delete