Thursday 23 December 2021

All Quiet on the Painting Front.....

This is the title for this post that I eventually plumped for - initially I was going to go with "A Room with No View" and then I considered "Hors de Combat".....!

Last Friday, I had what may be euphemistically described as a number of "loose motions" throughout the day. By the time I left work, earlier than usual at around 4pm, I did not feel too good at all. By the time I  arrived home 40 minutes later, I felt worse. Despite the summer, low twenties centigrade temperature, I put on a sweat shirt because I had the shivers. Within an hour, I was in bed, and there I stayed, for the next sixty hours or so, with the exception of a trip to the the toilet every 60 to 90 minutes - it was a bloody miserable time! I drank a little but ate nothing for at least the first thirty six hours, and in two days lost 6.5 kg in weight!

It sounds counter intuitive, but I was too sick over the weekend to go to the doctor, only making it to the new local A&E clinic late on Monday afternoon. By then, I was more or less ok again, except that I still felt very weak and woozy. The doctor checked me out, gave me a form for blood tests next day and the nurse gave me my first ever Covid test!

On Tuesday, I went and had the blood tests then came home and waited. I have waited ever since. The Covid result is still not back, four days later, but that's ok because the blood test was so bad that the nurse at my GP told me I am too sick to go back to work at all this week - which as its Christmas Eve tomorrow, means I am off work until Mon 17 Jan!

I still feel about the same, light headed when I stand up and like I have had three or four beers on an empty stomach! At least the diarrhoea and vomiting stopped on Sunday - it is honestly the sickest I can ever remember being as an adult and felt to me as I would imagine dysentery feels...which is not good at all!

Here is a measure - since Monday, I have basically been more or less well, at home, with a perfect excuse not to do work or household chores - and in four days, I have probably forced myself to do four or five hours painting - it feels like such a missed opportunity! Today has been a bit more productive but really, I should have been able to crank through a fair few figures in that time - but the motivation  just has not been there.


The "Room with no View" .....my view of the world for about sixty hours


Three images from our back garden of the sunset Weds evening




An eight week old puppy I looked after for our neighbour for a few hours toady - it is a Christmas present for her kids with a working title of "Zippy" but likely to be renamed by the kids in a couple of days time. A very cute dog - my 22 year old daughter loved him, EVEN AFTER he peed on her bed!

Should have some toy soldier pics soon - and hopefully a result on the bloody Covid test!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

30 comments:

  1. Blimey, that's not the best run up to Xmas, but hope you feel better soon. Have a great Xmas (if you can) and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - to be honest, its been so so bad at work for the last month or so, if someone had asked me, would you swap a miserable weekend of diarrhoea and vomiting for the last week leading up to Christmas off - I might well have said yes - so its not all bad you see! Christmas will be fine as long as I get my painting mojo back!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you are feeling grotty mate. Hope you still have a nice Christmas - even if you can’t handle turkey and all the trimmings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM - I will be fine - normal appetite etc returned a couple of days ago - I just feel weird when I stand up or walk around!

      Delete
  3. The dog is a cutie. Fingers crossed for your Covid test result. I think we have all spend so long social distancing etc that our immune systems are weaker than they were 2 years ago - seems plenty of people are getting hit by nasty bugs. Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, he certainly is! Yes you are probably right about the unintended consequences of lockdowns and border closures etc...I saw a tv new report just yesterday saying doctors are worried about the possibility of a whooping cough epidemic in small children...

      Delete
  4. Get well soon, Keith! (At least, doesn't sound much like Covid......)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andrew! No, I never thought it was Covid but I think if you go to the docs for any kind of illness at present, they throw in a bonus Covid test anyway....but it's just as well I am not some motivated go getter desperate to get back to work! Amy has had TWO tests in the lat six days ( because she is flying again) They both came back in twenty four hours and were negative, so it seems unlikely I have it!

      Delete
  5. Hope your on the mend KIETH- nothing worse than being ill- hope it isn't Covid. Stay safe there in Auckland. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kev....I think I am pretty safe on the Covid front! Have a great festive season too!

      Delete
  6. Oh, hope will be better soon!
    Marry Christmas and Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds a cr…awful start to the Christmas season. Hope you get your mojo back soon so you can enjoy things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as my (female) boss remarked, I have had a sh*t start to the Christmas Season! I am sure all will be well on the twenty fifth, unless my family have bought the wrong socks and underpants, of course!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like an awful affliction. When one is too sick to paint, that is very sick, indeed! I hate when that happens. Illness can be tolerated if it gets one out of doing chores but painting is still possible. Get well soon.

    Spectacular sunsets.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Jon....yes, I don't get sick a lot....I very rarely manage to use up the statutory allowance of five paid sick days per year that we have in NZ (it has just been increased to ten, so I must make more of an effort!). I will be trying to get some time at the painting desk today!

      Delete
  9. You can’t even blame the bad food at the company Christmas party! Hope it all settles down today Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Mark - our Christmas Party is on Fri 21 Jan at the Habourside, so food should be pretty reasonable! As mentioned, apart from the light headedness, I have been fine since Monday really.

      Delete
  10. Not the best start to the festive season Keith…
    It sounds a lot like Norovirus to me… my brother has just had it and your experience sounds a lot like his…
    He picked it up at work… a place best to avoid in my opinion 😁

    All the best and a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to you and yours…
    Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...you may well be right...you certainly are regarding work! I just had a call from the GP's nurse to say "they" ( either of Accident and Emergency clinic or the lab) have lost my Covid sample but as I didn't present with any symptoms, the GP is happy to see me today re the blood results! She will however be wearing full PPE just in case.....😝

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a touch of gastro rather than COVID. Four days seems like a long while to get a COVID test back though. Nothing worse than when you're too unwell to paint, but know the feeling. I have learned that even with a slight hangover, which is rare for me, then my motivation disappears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence, no, I didn't ever think I had Covid either (see my reply to Andrew above). Hangovers are a rare for me too nowadays...no more than two or three a week ( lol, more like per year in reality!)

      Delete
  12. Hope you're feeling better soon and try and have a good Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty, I am planning on having a good day tomorrow!

      Delete
  13. Sounds awful: it sounds as if you've hit bottom and are at least on the path to recovery. Hope you're able to at least enjoy Christmas (and make up for lost ground on New Year!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ed....yes feeling better each day ...hope you also have a great family Christmas and New Year!

      Delete
  14. Yikes! That sounds lame. I hope that by the time I’m writing this your feelings better.

    Bd joke: did you try setting up a paint station in the bathroom?

    I hope you and yours have a merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...no Stew. I will reserve the smallest room fir blog reading I think! Yes been feeling a lot better most if the week thanks. I never did get the Covid result back because "they" lost it. My GP said I didn't present with Covid symptoms anyway...I think every medical practioner who gets the chance, just hands out a test....a bit like the police at this time of year, who breath test anyone they stop for any kind of driving issue....it's worth a punt!

      Delete