Saturday 25 December 2021

Ho Ho Ho.. Merry Christmas!

 Well, in New Zealand, that's Christmas almost done and dusted for another year. No more than averagely festive, as it has tended to be for the last few years. We started the day with my wife and I, daughter, son and sons girlfriend for a nice cooked breakfast and a glass of "bubbles", followed by a brief exchange of half a dozen gifts. Then wife started preparing the lunch, daughter disappeared to get ready for work and sons girlfriend and he departed for present swapping duties at her house. She then revealed that, contrary to expectation, she would NOT be joining us for lunch - grey clouds over the kitchen bench as wife continued the meal prep. An hour or two later, wife's mother and brother arrived,  had a brief interaction with daughter who then departed to sit at the airport in a crew room for eight or nine hours, son returned from girlfriends, mother in law expressed surprise and sadness that girlfriend not joining for the meal. Exchanged a few more gifts, had a drink or two, had lunch, sat around chewing the fat for maybe three hours then wife used mother as an excuse ("would you like us to take you home now?") to pull the curtain down on the raucous event - brother in law departed for Hamilton (whence he had earlier come) and we took mother in law fifty km in the opposite direction to her home in Auckland, as son returned to girlfriends house. Home by about 6pm, watched the news, watched the Queens speech - I went into garage to paint desk, wife removed about 50% of Christmas related decorative bric a brac - and that was about it. Daughter arrived home about half an hour ago pretty bored and annoyed, had some cereal to eat and went to bed :) I seem to remember., it was just a little bit more fun when they were younger!

Anyway, I thought I would share the Christmas Haul, which isn't huge but is what I requested so I cant complain - some 3D printed scenics and figures produced locally (ie in NZ) and available for quite reasonable cost on the local version of E Bay.






I didnt bother taking images of the figures - they are not quite as clean and crisp as the scenery - they are ok but faces etc not great - I guess I will probably paint them up but in retrospect I would have been better to get more scenery and forget about the figures....

And as a kind of bonus, yesterday, Christmas Eve, the last post before the big day delivered a small pack from Hasslefree in Wales. Coming so close to Crimbo, I decided to treat these as a Christmas gift too!


Oriental martial artiste



Geisha with a blade




Countess Mia - going to be either French or Italian in the Pulp Project!



I have some more painted Pulp specimens too but they can show their face in another 24 hours or so.

26 comments:

  1. Well our Xmas is slowly getting going as the family begins to appear. Yet again it's just the four of us due to Covid and wishing to keep our family safe. My Dad is happy to stay at home, given he is the other side of the country, again to keep safe. We've all said that this year in particular hasn't felt like Xmas at all, probably due to all the lockdown uncertainty here and the miserable weather:(.

    Some nice presents there Keith, with the figures being very nice. Still a few hours before we get to unwrap our presents, so will have to wait and see what Santa has brought me from my son...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get something useful and that you want Steve!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas Keith! Sounds like you had a fairly typical family day with grown up children ๐Ÿ˜„

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think so...and it doesn't really bother me...but my wife would really like a big "family" Christmas with her niece and family down country...we did it once about five or six years ago! Maybe next year.....

      Delete
  3. Well we have only just started, putting aside your slightly challenging family comings and going at least you got some nice bits. I’m not the biggest fan of Christmas but we have our children back which is nice. I might even persuade my son to play a game later ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt....if you can get your son to play a game,mellow done! Mine isn't remotely interested...he isn't even interested in history, let alone armed forces etc. He us a good boy though and happy to buy me toy soldiers as a present if I tell him where to get them and what to buy...as us my daughter!

      Delete
  4. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you KIETH and FAMILY - glad you've had a good day with Family. Hot here today with a Storm moving in with rolling thunder and no rain for about three hours- mother nature is queen. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev...hope you have had a good day too. It's been hotter than usual for this time of year...high twenties centigrade. Even now at eleven pm, it's still eighteen!

      Delete
  5. Keith, those Hasslefree figures make the day, clever and very individual looking, which is exactly what you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, yes, they are very nice indeed...I am going to have to take my time to do the facial details justice!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Michal...I hope you also had a good Chritmas celebration

      Delete
  7. Merry Christmas Keith. Family, eh? Those Hasselfree minis are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family indeed Padre! At least we got through the day without any raised voices or tears, which hasn't always been the case! I really don't understand why people get so wound up but then I guess I come from a different Christmas heritage....I only had a small family...one Auntie on each side, and they were a long way away from us. So our Christmas was only ever our own five person nuclear family. I don't care that I can't get to see cousin X y and z!

      Delete
  8. Merry Christmas, Keith! You survived. I regularly have similar challenges at the holiday and this week has been particularly challenging. Those Hasslefree figures are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes, as Christmases go, it wasn't too bad. Now we ca hopefully relax and enjoy the holiday although unfortunately there is a family wedding on 13 Jan (postponed from Nov due to Covid lockdowns). It's bother in laws son by his second ex wife, so more family fun and tension, with excessive alcohol consumption added for extra fun๐Ÿ˜œ

      Delete
  9. Merry Christmas Keith…
    Toy soldiers for Christmas… hurrah!…

    I am currently preparing food for tomorrow when my daughter comes over…
    Blind baking bases… for beef and venison pies…. I’m better at scenery ๐Ÿ˜‚
    Beer in hand and the Puppini Sisters playing in the background… it is starting to feel festive.
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beef and venison pies.....sound very nice Aly...a bit of beer/stout in with the meat as it stews maybe? I hope you have a great day with your daughter and she isn't too hard on you when it comes to your festive wargame!

      Delete
  10. Ah the joys of a modern Christmas…and part of the reason we have come away from it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Mark - unfortunately, if we went anywhere, it would be to Masterton for the same sort of event but with ten times as many participants. Doubtless once Ruth's Mum shuffles off her mortal coil, that will be what I have to endure :( Your option is eminently sensible!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a busy day! Nice pressies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray...not that busy really but it was tolerable! Now it's all downhill...as Christmas is the start of our summer holiday season, so a lot of people head off for two or three weeks away on Boxing Day or the twenty seventh, and the rest of us let out a sigh of relief and REKAX! Hopefully I will manage to fit in a few games over the next three weeks of freiheit!

      Delete
  12. Well, it wouldn't be Christmas without family ins-and--outs. Nice Christmas haul, particularly the timely arrive of the parcel of toys (I had that one year: I remember how cool that was). Merry Merry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ed - yes we all survived the experience unscathed! Now, if only my AWOL Brigade Games parcel would show up in the next week or two, plus the one from Noble Knight sent on Fedex that seems no quicker than the regular post office, and that would really start the New Year on a positive high!

      Delete
  13. Great gifts and day, glad you were feeling better for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TGM......yes, back to feeling pretty much same as normal again now, the the Lord!

      Delete