Thursday 12 March 2020

British Napoleonic Horseguards (The Blues) Completed

These images have not come out as nicely as I would have liked, I am not sure why.... I did try to take an image of the full unit but I could not fit them into my Jerry built photo booth. As an aside, when I first started gaming with my group, the accepted basing size was 30mm frontage by 40mm depth for infantry and 40mm frontage by whatever depth was necessary (usually 50mm) for cavalry. At some point (I think when most of the guys collected ACW) they changed infantry to 40mm squares.

In recent years, our general acceptance of standardised basing seems to have gone by the wayside...Mark has used three bases of 60mm frontage per unit for some of his recent armies and our WWI and RCW have used the FoW 45mm x 20mm bases with three infantry on each...except for Julian, who used 40mm squares!

The point of this ramble is this....the Warlord boxes come supplied with plastic bases. These are 50mm square. For the Scots Greys, I cut off 10mm, so they have a 40mm frontage...but it was quite hard fitting the figures on...so with the Blues, I decided to just use the bases the way they come...my regiment will have a greater frontage but so what, it doesn't seem to worry anyone else! If it becomes a problem, I can put five bases at 250mm frontage against six at 240mm...close enough not to matter.

Anyway, here are the not so great images...hope you like them more than I did! Oh by the way the last image I took just so anyone who hasn't used thes figures before can see the (what I think is quite a nifty) way Warlord cast the "base" at the end of two of each horses feet....
....






17 comments:

  1. They have turned out really nice, good shout on the basing, I had not spotted that before - what I good idea.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stu...yes I like the way they have only done a small "base"...a lot easier to hide than the usual 1mm thick solid lump of metal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work, Keith! As for basing, isn't Mark putting three cavalry figs per base?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are indeed correct Jonathan....some collections have two bases per unit and some have three I think...whereas the rest of our group all still have two on 40mm frontage....

      Delete
  4. They have turned out nicely Keith...
    I must admit that I wish more cavalry were on black horses with black leather work... I would probably have a lot more units...;-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...I feel there is a common theme of antipathy towards the mounted arm!

      Delete
  5. Great work Keith. Loving the cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nate...I am not sure the blue is the correct shade but oh well, maybe it has just faded a bit on campaign!

      Delete
  6. Nice work and I particularly like your use of discarded French shakoes on the bases Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at them again more closely, they appear to be British. Great idea.

      Delete
    2. You are indeed correct Lawrence ...along with Portuguese shako and British cavalry helmets...as I have not assembled any plastic French, I don't have any spares...but watch this space, I am trying to arrange a swap with Mark, who must have shed loads of spare French heads!

      Delete
  7. Very nice work Keith! Congrats on a collection replenishment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry...as luck would have it, another small brown package arrived from the UK yesterday...two battalions of Portuguese Cacadores ....

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup mon ami (schoolboy French from forty years ago 😊)

      Delete
  9. Splendid looking troopers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete