Saturday 7 March 2020

MORE BBC (Bloody British Cavalry..!)

Well, I have moved on to the second box of Warlord Black Powder Napoleonic British cavalry that I bought a couple of weeks ago. This time, it's the Household Brigade, although in actuality, the only difference between this set and the Union Brigade is different heads and a different metal officer figure. This time, there is no metal bugler, just a separate metal buglers arm to attach to one of the standard plastic troopers.

Small issues again that could annoy the more pedantic EG  because the bugler just uses a standard body he has no sabre, because the plastic figures are cast with an empty scabbard, as the troopers obviously have their sabres drawn.

I haven't been able to figure out the logic that made one pack have both command figures in metal and the other only the officer...indeed, they could easily have had the two command figures as a seperate sprue and moulded in plastic...

After some consideration, I decided to paint this unit as the Horseguards IE in blue uniforms with red facings. I might buy a second pack and do one of the Lifeguard regiments too....

Anyway, here is the first base completed, as usual, the command element. I copied the box art from the packaging so hope the all white feather for the bugler is accurate. The rest of the troopers have no feather at all, although two of the four heads provided do have one...so I assume the Lifeguards all have plumes on their helmets..

13 comments:

  1. A nice start there Keith...
    And of course you really will have to do the Lifeguards as well... it would be rude not to...;-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Aly and yes, I guess you are correct...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good, Keith! I guess the bugler dropped his sword along the way or broke it chopping firewood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jonathan . You could be correct about the lost sabre, referring to this quote about British cavalry Sabres from the contemporary United Services Journal "we can answer for its utility in making billets for the fire...!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, and I am sure no one will notice the missing sword when they are in action.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lawrence....hopefully not, or they may want this unit to roll one less D6 in combat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely painting Keith. Those active horses look really good to. Nice bit of sculpting there by Messrs Warlord.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you James, yes I agree they have done a good job although I think they missed an opportunity because the horses come in two halves as is usual with hard plastics, but they are not interchangeable like some of the other kits I have used, so you are stuck with the same two poses...no worse than metals I suppose but more variety would have been nice...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Nate, got a few more to post right now....

    ReplyDelete
  10. More great looking British cavalry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain...getting a bit confused with my replies...I responded to Nate twice ....that's what happens when you get old!

      Delete