Monday 30 March 2020

My Favourite General

Following the lead from Nate at Natholeons Empires and his link to Matts blog Waterloo to Mons, here is my contribution on the subject of my favourite general from history.

I didn't have to think about this for very long and going with the concept that first impressions are usually right, the first person I thought of as I was reading Nates piece on the Duke of Marlborough was.......drum roll......Oliver Cromwell.

Now Matts concept for this was that it should be a piece of fun and I don't have to convince anyone that Cromwell was a tactical or strategic genius, perhaps he wasn't...all I have to do is tell you he is my favourite!

I will give some thoughts on why Cromwell immediately came to mind though. Firstly, that great  1970 film starring Richard Harris...I must have watched it half a dozen times at least, and it's still a cracking story! I know a lot of what is in there is a mish mash of history and important, even pivotal, events, are completely ignored EG the Battle of Marston Moor, but it's still one if my favourite British historical epics.

Secondly, in my opinion, Cromwell was on the right side of history in taking the side of parliament against the autocracy of Charles the First, albeit he was not a believer in universal suffrage and clearly demonstrated that later in the heavy handed way he dealt with Levellers and their like causing trouble and disent in the army.

Thirdly, I do think he was a pretty talented field commander...he won some very important victories , including his involvement in the aforementioned Marston Moor, which effectively smashed the last hopes of a Royalist victory, and also destroyed the myth of Prince Ruperts invincibility and the superiority of the Royalist horse. The battle of Dunbar, which it gives me, as a Scot, no pleasure at all to bring up, saw his weakened, sick, out numbered and out manoeuvred force round on the Covenant army and inflict an astonishingly one sided defeat on them....1-3000 scots killed and 10000 taken prisoner for the loss of 20 killed and 58 wounded in the Parliamentarian army...even allowing for a level of propaganda and hyperbole, this was obviously a crushing defeat and a remarkable feat of generalship. Likewise his later victories in the Second Civil War, again against the hapless Scots, showed his outstanding tactical and strategic abilities.

By all accounts, he was not really in favour of executing the King, but the latters constant double dealing in the end left him exasperated and he allowed himself to be convinced it was the only way to resolve things. Likewise, many may criticise him for disbanding the Long Parliament and becoming to all intents and purposes a military dictator, but again, it seems to me to have been a typically British dictatorship with a very light hand...what might be described as a benign dictatorship as we see today in the likes of Singapore.

So that's my choice and some of the reasons behind it...now, it's your turn, so please, put your thinking caps on and let's hear who your favourite historical general was!

19 comments:

  1. A good choice and I like your reasons. The film Cromwell had a big impact on me when it was released (1970?) and led me to build a Civil War army, however it was a Royalist one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stryker (sorry, I looked on your blog for a clue to your name but failed to locate it!).

      Delete
  2. A good and interesting choice Keith...especially from a Scot.
    I remember going on family drives around the borders as a young lad... and wondering if there was any buildings that Cromwell hadn’t slighted...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Aly and given I actually come from Montrose, you might think I would have different feelings...but my sympathies have been with Parliament and the Covenanters for as long as I can remember!

      Delete
  3. Tough question to answer. Cromwell is not at the top of my list but I enjoyed the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathon...I didn't expect to elicit a lot of agreement but as I say, Cromwell was literally the first one I thought of...so I decided to go with instinct!

      Delete
  4. An interesting choice. And an excellent (if shouty) film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt ...and thanks for the idea, will be interesting to see how many others you get responding!

      Delete
  5. Good choice. He certainly was a character good or bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray ...obviously from my perspective, a lot more good than bad...he certainly wasn't a Nero, Stalin or Hitler!

      Delete
  6. An interesting choice Keith! He's certainly a large character - people tend to either love him or loathe him. I don't think I can ever warm to a man who bans Christmas mince pies though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of that stuff is a bit of a Royalist myth Nate....I read Antonia Frasers book some years ago and Cromwell personally wasn't the instigator of half the weird fundamentalist policies during the period of the Major Generals, for instance!

      Delete
  7. Fair play, although he wouldn't be my first choice either Keith. I'm not sure he'd be the sort of bloke to sit down and have a drink with, but then not many of them would have been. I think Hannibal would be my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well there we go then Larence ....write up a piece on Hannibal...apart from the fact(?) he brought elephants across the Alps, I don't know a great deal about him, so now is your chance to enlighten me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should Keith, as it is quite an interesting story. I have heard that he got anywhere between three to thirty-seven elephants across, but they didn't make it through the following year. The real tragedy was how his Senate virtually abandoned him and refused to send reinforcements when he was on the brink of victory.

      Delete
    2. Right oh then...I will check your blog later for the full story!

      Delete
  9. Sorry Keith late to the party on this one.
    Toussaint Louverture - beats the French, Spanish, English and French again.
    Not a general but what about T. E. Lawrence great campaign against the Turks.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu - to be far, this wasn't my idea - take a look at "Waterloo to Mons" and then maybe present your arguments for one of the above on your own blog!

      Delete
    2. Fair comment it's on my list...
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete