Tuesday 21 April 2020

"A Scottish Soldier" - Verse Two


Verse Two

And now this soldier, this Scottish soldier
Who wandered far away and soldiered far away
Sees leaves are falling, and death is calling
And he will fade away, on that dark land
He called his piper, his trusty piper
And bade him sound away, a pibroch sad to play
Upon a hillside, a Scottish hillside
Not on these green hills of Tyrol
Chorus

Because these green hills are not Highland hills
Or the Island's hills, they're not my land's hills
As fair as these green foreign hills may be
They are not the hills of home




AWI - 21st Royal North British Fusiliers - Front Rank


AWI - 26th Foot Cameronians- Front Rank


AWI - 42nd Foot Royal Highland Regiment - Old Glory


Napoleonic - 1st Foot The Royal Scots - Front Rank


Napoleonic - 21st Royal North British Fusiliers - Old Glory (I know they didnt wear the Fusilier caps in combat, but I like a bit of variety!)


Napoleonic - 26th Foot Cameronians - Old Glory


Napoleonic - 94th Foot The Scotch Brigade - Front Rank


Napoleonic - 71st Highland Light Infantry - Front Rank


Napoleonic - 94th Foot - Front Rank converted by adding light dragoon heads


Napoleonic - 79th Highland Regiment Cameron Highlanders - FR, OG and Elite figures


Napoleonic - 42nd Royal Highland Regiment The Black Watch - Old Glory


Napoleonic - 78th Highland Regiment The Ross shire Buffs - Old Glory



Napoleonic - 75th Highland Regiment - Old Glory


Napoleonic - 91st Highland Regiment Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders - Old Glory


Napoleonic - 92nd Highland Regiment The Gordon Highlanders - Front Rank


Napoleonic - 72nd (I think) Regiment wearing air tube helmets with Wellington in India - Redoubt Miniatures

I have to admit that I made an amateurs error when painting these about twenty years ago - many of these regiments were absent Europe for the entire period, being either in India, or elsewhere is the growing British empire - oh well! Also just to note, each unit has six elements - two flank, one command and three centre - I just cut them down to four so they would fit better in my photo booth.

Part three to follow in a couple of days!

22 comments:

  1. Impressive display! Painting tartans drive me mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathon ...I know what you mean although most aren't too bad...I use an "Impressionist" approach...if you looked too closely, they aren't very accurate...but they look fine from normal viewing distance! Personally, I hate doing the "dicing" on the hose (socks) and also around the headband of the bonnets....arghh! Hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous parade, lovely regiments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil - from you, this is praise indeed!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry - its quite surprising just how many figures I have painted when I start getting them all out of storage!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, You can find a lot of interesting things in old stocks:)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Ray - I DO have a few representatives of the other Home nations - although possibly not Welsh - I am not sure on that!

      Delete
  5. Outstanding collection of beautiful painted regiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark...it's obvious from the pictures that my painting ...and basing....styles have changed and evolved over the years but I was happily surprised that the earlier figures see, to have stood the test of time ok

      Delete
  6. A fine collection of brave soldiers Keith...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Aly ....the blogosphere seems to have gone into lock down too over the last few days...very few new posts or comments being made recently!

      Delete
    2. I think that there was a burst of energy as everyone found themselves with more time on their hands...
      They have possibly now been encouraged to do the garden or paint the kitchen...

      Delete
    3. Quite possibly...we should always resist those type of activities of course, total waste of painting time

      Delete
  7. Lovely bunch of Highlanders! I like hour impressionistic tartan, I think I'll go that way when I eventually get to Montrose's army! I am both painting the house and doing the garden and have less figure painting time than pre lockdown, especially with added zoom pub quizzes and family tv viewing eating into hobby time!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian ...there is a fantastic blog by an ex pat Scot in America showing his ECW Highlanders...I think it mat be called Auldearn....his tartan painting is outstanding. Sounds like you need to get back to work to free up some hobby time!

      Delete
    2. Yes I'm pretty sure that's why I have got a Covenanter army and the makings of a Montrose army, a really excellent blog!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. That is a lot of red mate...and not a female figure in sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed Mark - the final lot are mainly khaki - and still no girls - maybe my next parade should be the Valkyrie army Julian and Rick like so much!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you Dean - I already have a couple of ideas for my next themed post :)

      Delete