Thursday 9 April 2020

The Lead Pile - A Brief Review

With more time at home - even allowing for the fact I am working almost as many hours as usual, I have two hours I don't spend travelling at the start and end of the day - I did a bit of a tidy up around the painting desk and pulled out most of the lead pile I found whilst doing so. NOT included here are various bits and pieces of WW2 15mm - Brits, Germans and Japanese - I don't need any more of these and will only resort to painting them if things get truly desperate!

I don't have a lot of any one thing, but if I pace myself, I think there is enough here to keep me going two or three weeks




Front Rank Portuguese Cacadores - 12


Old Glory Colonial Highlanders - 16 - may base individually in case I ever want to try The Men Who Would be King etc


Old Glory Sikh Wars British command - about 10


Old Glory British Colonial Artillery - 8


Old Glory Sikh Wars Native Command - about 8


Redoubt Wellington in India Brits - 16 - may paint them as Canadians for the War of 1812 in their round hats...


Old Glory Colonial Brits - 16 - more TMWWBK potentially...


A real blast from the past - have had these for 35 years or longer



I even made a start on painting them 20 years ago but will redo the whole lot - 16 privates plus ensign and officer
I even found these three 54mm figures, unopened since purchase in the late 70's or early 80's as a teenager!

The three ensign figures


Any post by me would not be complete without a lady - in this case a very large scale French Maid by Phoenix again I think - the base is inscribed as copyright 1982! I remember also having a Biker girl in denim shorts and a red crash helmet from this range, but she is long gone alas!




15 comments:

  1. That's quite a horde, that said I am quite enjoying painting some of the 'fillers' freeing up space and finally completing projects started at least 20 years ago....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes stu, it is an I'll wind and all that....looking at numerous blogs, I think most gamers are getting a bit of admin done around unpainted lead and plastic!

      Delete
  2. That is quite a mix of figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is Ray, I am thinking I may do a "Pass in Review" series like I did at the start of the year with my AWI &WSS collections, showing all the toys I have bought and painted in the last thirty five years......where did that time go to?!

      Delete
  3. I nice assortment there Keith. I actually did an inventory of my lead pile a couple of weeks ago and was slightly horrified at the extent of it. It's amazing what we are getting up to with all this forced isolation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be interesting to see what others have accumulated over the years Lawrence ...I suspect mine is a mole hill compared to many who have mountains.....my painting/buying discipline is pretty good

      Delete
  4. Now is a good time to get into those figures from 1982 Keith! I figure it will keep you going until the lockdown is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nate...I believe it will..especially if I progress at the sedate rate of the last fortnight...but that's how I want it at the moment anyway.

      Delete
  5. It's a funny old thing. I have also found a big bunch of figures I had bought years ago and forgotten about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure most gamers have Mark! What era/ manufacturer are yours?

      Delete
  6. Enough to hopefully keep you busy at the painting desk,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be Jonathon...as long as I don't do too much over the four day Easter weekend coming up. I would love to know what is in your mountain ...I have certainly gained the impression that you..and many others...have large mounds of unpainted lead stored up!

      Delete
  7. The lady looks really jocosely. I guess you should paint her first :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No she is huge..which will expose the flaws in my painting...so going to have to work my way up to her Dimitry!

      Delete