Sunday 26 April 2020

Reducing the Lead Pile

As a break from my themed posts, here are some images of what has come off the painting desk over the last week or so - progress has been slow but intentionally so, as I don't want to run  out of metal to paint!

Unfortunately, in terms of variety, I had chosen to paint up the left over Old Glory Colonial Highlanders and base them individually in case I ever get around to some kind of skirmish level game. The tartan this time is the generic "government sett" worn by several of the highland regiments, including the Black Watch and the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders.

I have three more painted but without the bases completed, and four unpainted, to finish these boys off



The officer and piper


Two privates advancing


Private and corporal


Another corporal and private


The last pair of privates

I mentioned in a previous post that our dog is getting a lot more exercise at the moment, and he is certainly not the only lucky canine - there are far more people out walking dogs these days than I have ever come across before. Following are a couple of images of a local kids play park about 1 km from our house, where we passed through today - I stopped and read the "historic" plaque the council put up - nothing particularly awe inspiring but its nice to recognise the history of  "ordinary" people too, so I trust it is mildly interesting.



The half size road signs are quite cool, all the paths have road markings too - for kids play and I guess some level of road code education!


Still great weather, as you can see, I think today up to about 20 deg C, which is pretty good for what is now late Autumn (fall) here.


Around 2 pm today I went to our local super market to pick up the weeks shopping - but when I saw the queue, I left again, and went back about 7 pm, when I didn't have to queue up at all to get in!


If you open the image up, you should be able to see the people queued up for 2-300m or further - tents are to provide shelter when it rains I think.

And finally, a story from the NZ press to show we have some pretty dumb people in this country....three strikes and you are out ( or in this case "in" ) I guess....


Take care out there and I will be posting again in two or three days.


12 comments:

  1. These look great Keith, I really like the way you have done these and the earlier colonial highlanders. Nice to see the weather is still holding up and that you're out and about. They are talking about the possibility of resuming flights between New Zealand and Australia in the not too distant future, so hopefully that means we are getting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I am pretty happy with how they turned out. I hope you are right about air travel. Currently, Air NZ is only operating four flights per day, three Auckland to Wellington each way and one Auckland to Christchurch, so f they can restart trans Tasmen flights, that will be great

      Delete
  2. Great looking colonial Highlanders! I like the khaki and kilt combo,very nice! We're still in it up to our necks, with seemingly no way out,I guess Snafu just about sums it up!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain .... Zero historical research done, I just painted from my imagination...I am not sure why I decided the two ammo pouches on the front of the webbing should be black rather than white like the rest of it...I think I have seen an image like that somewhere...yes, we in NZ and Australia seem to have fared much better than many larger, richer countries. Britain seems quite badly affected, but the US seems to be worst and with no sign they can bring it under control.

      Delete
  3. They look really nice Keith...
    Little skirmish games are a lot of fun... and you don’t need much space.

    Some people seem have that potentially dangerous combination of arrogance and ignorance... he probably now feels hard done to...

    All the best. Aly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly, almost an immediate response here, as your comment appeared while I was answering Iain above! I have been toying with the idea (no pun intended!) of some kind of solo skirmish but I don't really have anywhere to play even a small scale action.

      Yes, we have a bit of that "I know better than the govt, no one can tell me what to do.." type of attitude in a portion of our population unfortunately, it's good to see them get smacked occasionally, doesn't happen often enough in my opinion!

      Delete
  4. Really nice miniatures, Keith. There is an interesting uniform is on the edge of epoch, some kind of mix of utilitarian and decorative elements. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry, I think the uniforms from this period are very attractive and satisfying to paint

      Delete
  5. Your Highlanders are a very handsome lot. I, too, am a fan of the khaki and kilt with white webbing. Very smart. Thanks for the neighborhood photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathon, I do like tat style of uniform!

      Delete
  6. Very nice; something about kilts and pith helmets, nice, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Dean, a new themed post to follow later today I hope!

    ReplyDelete