Sunday 19 April 2020

Another Themed Post

So, as threatened, my next "themed" figure posting is based on the song "A Scottish Soldier", which, I was surprised to discover, is not traditional at all, but was only written in 1961 by the Scottish traditional ballad singer, Andy Stewart. Apparently, it was in the top 10 of its time, reaching number one in both Canada and New Zealand, and staying in the US charts for 36 weeks - who knew!

Anyway, it provides a perfect excuse for me to drag out and photograph all my Scottish troops - and I was surprised to find how many I have. Even in what might be assumed to be "British" collections, I am somewhat taken aback to find a large dose of nationalist prejudice has seeped into my unit selection EG a large number of my non Highland regiments are still Scottish.

After spending a couple of hours pulling boxes from various cupboards in the garage, I was staggered to realise that I had taken 45 photos - so rather than inflict that many images on you all at once, I decided to break it down. The song suggesting the theme of this post coincidentally has three verses, so that makes a nice even split of 15 images per verse - so here we go.

I decided to present the collections in chronological order, so we commence with medieval and work forwards from there.

Firstly though, the opening verse of the song:


THERE WAS A SOLDIER…..

Verse One

There was a soldier, a Scottish soldier
Who wandered far away and soldiered far away
There was none bolder, with good broad shoulders
He fought in many a fray and fought and won
He's seen the glory, he's told the story
Of battles glorious and deeds victorious
But now he's sighing, his heart is crying
To leave these green hills of Tyrol

Chorus

Because these green hills are not Highland hills
Or the Island's hills, they're not my land's hills
As fair as these green foreign hills may be
They are not the hills of home




First up are a few examples of my 25mm medieval Scots army, which has refought Stirling Bridge and Bannockburn more than once. Above are Robert Bruce, his brother Edward. the "Black" Douglas and another I cant recall now


Edward Bruce's levy (in his heraldic colours) plus archers


One of several units of schiltrons that are part of this army


How could I not - the Earl of Ross and his mounted contingent - albeit that in fact, he actually captured Robert Bruce's wife and hung her in a cage from his castle walls for quite a considerable period of time - they did make up later on though!


We jump forward a few hundred years to some representatives of my Covenanter army, part of a larger ECW collection. The figures above are a mixture of Front Rank and Dixon


This group are all Renegade I think


Renegade command and I think Bicorne pikemen


Wargames Foundry pikemen


Foundry command and unknown pikemen


Warlord Games Scots Lancers (plastic kit)


Dixon lancers with a Foundry officer


Three Foundry figures combined as a command base...

Another hundred years or so forward in time, and its the French and Indian War, or SYW in N America


The 78th (Frasers) Highlanders to the left, and the 42nd (Black Watch) to the right - all Front Rank from the Jacobite Rebellion range, as I thought this was close enough in time scale to make the uniform reasonably accurate


The 1st Regiment of Foot (The Royal Scots) - again, Front Rank miniatures

I think that is only 14 images but its a suitable place to break, as the next picture I have is the first of several depicting Scots units from my AWI collection

20 comments:

  1. Great looking medievals and SYW types but my favourites are the rather more dour Covenanters. It might be because I've got that army too, although all warlord plastics so not as nicely varied as yours!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain...I have some Warlord plastic Covenanter infantry too and they are very nice figures...but I had most of these many years before Warlord or hard plastic 28mm figures were ever heard of!

      Delete
  2. Excellent! The ECW troops labeled tentatively as “Renegade” look like Renegade figures to me. With the number of collections you have, these themed posts could go on forever,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathon, I have both Renegade and Bicorne figures in this collection but find the rank and file almost indistinguishable from each other!

      Delete
  3. Great stuff here! An amazing group of figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, it is actually quite amazing when I review all the figures I have acquired and painted over the years!

      Delete
  4. Impressive collection of so many periods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean, but as the tv adverts say "But wait, there's more....!"

      Delete
  5. Fantastic collection of figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray....one day, I will put an entire army on a table and photograph that...I certainly have plenty to chose from...but of course, like the James Bond film..."The World is not Enough" 😊

      Delete
  6. Covenanters now there is an army that has fallen out of favour. I had a Pete Laing Army in 15mm, they we awful compared to today's standard but had a certain charm and we had some great scenarios.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me a while to build up a few units of these Stu....I always fancied gaming Marstom Moor, where a large part of the "Parliamentarian" army was actually the Scots...but I would need heads more and I am not sure I can be bothered, as they would probably never see the table again! Peter Laing...now that's a blast from the past...I had some Zulu wars (both sides) when I was around 16, back in the late 70's!

      Delete
  7. The large range of history! Looks interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry...I hope it is interesting...new figures or game reports would be better but they take a lot longer to create...and so far, I have still not managed to motivate myself to try solo gaming again !

      Delete
  8. Nice theme for today Keith. I had to sing the Scottish soldier as part of a school production more than a few years ago now, dressed in a kilt, and with Scottish dancers behind me. Still haunts my nightmares today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....I can imagine that would be quite traumatic Nate! I was genuinely surprised when I googled it to get the lyrics, and found out how recent it is. The tune is older but Andy Stewart only put the words to it in 1961. I am not sure why he chose Tyrol as the home if the "foreign" hills...not sure how many times Scottish soldiers fought in that part of the world.....the only excuse I could see was it relates back to the name of the original tune...more on this topic soon!

      Delete
  9. Nice work, and I remember Andy Stewart. Like you, I would have put that song down as being from the 1700's, at the latest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence....yeah, I was quite surprised, as already noted. The other "theme song" I am considering is Soldiers of the Queen..at least it's from 1898!

      Delete
  10. Great theme Keith. I must say I don’t know the song and will avoid it after reading Nathan’s comment above. Those medieval figures are of course out old Military Miniatures range...they were a great range for their time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Mark...true 25mm so a bit small by today's stanspdards but I always liked them. This army also includes some original Minifigs mounted Normans and Teutonic Knights that I pressed into service ... I had thought I might diva feature on the few original figures still in my collection 40 years after purchase..I have a few French Napoleonic too....

      Delete