Thursday 9 April 2020

The 15th (Kings) Hussars Completed

Right back at he start of this unit, I said there were twelve of them, but it turns out, there are only 11 - I don't know where the last one has disappeared to over the years. Also, the 11th man did not have the correct "S" type horse, so he is not much use at the moment - perhaps one day I will buy one more hussar and two horses to make the unit up to twelve, but at the moment, as I chose to base them again on 50 mm square bases, the frontage is very similar to that presented by 12 x 40 mm, so they are probably fine the way they are.

First up, two views of each of the pairs of figures not previously presented, including the command base of officer and trumpeter, then four images of the entire unit in all its glory.

Anticipate a bit of a gap now as I embark on a unit of 12 Cacadores - the first two were under coated this evening but I wont be rushing to get through this unit, so it may be a few days before the next post - have a happy Easter with your nearest family members in your own lock down "bubble" (as we are calling them here in New Zealand) - or is that a universal term?








And finally, to let the "real" world intrude again for a moment, readers may be interested in this headline from the news here in New Zealand at lunchtime Thurs 9 April......










16 comments:

  1. I hav3 not heard the term “lockdown bubble” but then, I don’t get out much! I bet I have a leftover FR British hussar or two with mount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Bubble" refers to the group of people, usually your family, that you come into contact with Jonathon. We are all ok to be closer than 2m with people in our bubble...so I can go for a walk with my wife and daughter, for example, but we are supposed to keep 2 m away from anyone not in our bubble. It could also include people you work with if you are still going out of your home for work.

      Delete
  2. A very nice looking unit, I particularly like the added touch of the French helmet on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment...and I have to own up that in fact, the helmet is a British Household cavalry one from the Black Powder box set, repurposed!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on getting the whole unit done :) Looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry, took a while but we got there in the end. On to the Cacadores now!

      Delete
  4. Nice to see the finished article Keith. The only bubble people speak about in Australia is the "Canberra bubble" surrounding Federal politicians, so I think they have been reticent to use the same term here. Still, it conveys the idea nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence ....yes, any use of a noun, adjective or adverb in relation to politicians usually becomes pejorative pretty quickly, and especially in Australia, where your politicians are held in such high regard!

      Delete
  5. Lovely unit,nicely finished, I'm a bit scared of hussars, as he looks at the 24 undercoated for a number of years and now nearing the painting desk!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain , I understand the trepidation ...after all, I have had these fine fellows partially painted for more than 20 years....mais courage, mon brave, once you get going, they are no worse than any other cavalrymen, and you have all the time in the world at the moment!

      Delete
  6. What a splendid cavalry, congrats...and take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil...I hope all is well with and yours in France

      Delete
  7. Very nice Keith...
    I have to admit that I don’t fear Hussars... as far as I am concerned Napoleonic uniforms are all a lot of fiddly bits ... just differently arranged on each uniform.
    Which is why the are so pretty... :-)

    I have a feeling that a lot of people think that going for a drive... is their allowable daily exercise...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, I certainly agree with you about fiddly Napoleonic uniforms, although the Cacadores I am painting now are an exception to that general rule.

      Delete
  8. A fine looking unit Keith. Shame about the missing figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, I am not too worried about it at this stage...our house rules have changed over the years, and where once the number of bases defined the size of the unit, now it is no longer particularly relevant.

      Delete