Saturday 11 April 2020

Easter Progress - Part One

With Good Friday as a day off, then Saturday today, despite my best intentions, I have already completed 4 of the 6 stands for the 5th Cacadores. This regiment has all facings, turn backs and piping in red, which makes things pretty simple, but a nice bright contrast to the dull brown of the uniform. Once again, these guys have a standard bearer, despite the fact that they almost certainly did not carry colours in the field - my excuse is, they came in the 24 figure pack I bought from Front Rank, so I had to use them! I cant remember if this regiment is from the Northern, Central or Southern recruiting area, but I gave them the appropriate flag.

By way of a change, I have also painted up the first of the Phoenix 30mm 1970's "Jocks" in No 2 Parade Dress, carrying the redoubtable SLR. The tartan is my attempt at the Gordon Highlanders, whose regimental motto is Bydand - allegedly stand fast in old lowland Scots.


10 comments:

  1. Excellent work! Front Rank Cacadores are good, solid boys. Love the Highlander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathon...as you know, Front Rank are probably my favourite figure range to paint

      Delete
  2. Very nice Keith...
    I do like that colour combination... the green shako cords and plume set them off really well.
    Your Highlander works well... I must admit I would have found it impossible not to have painted him in high gloss.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly, I agree the cacadores look great but they are the exception to your rule about Napoleonic uniforms being fiddly..these are super simple. As to the highlander...it did cross my mind, given the toy soldier type pose...but I just couldn't do it...I really don't like high gloss style, no offence to those who do!?

      Delete
  3. Great work Keith, especially with the tartan. Like Aly, I would have gone for a gloss coat for the highlander, but I totally understand those who don't like the look of the thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nate...to each his own, and all that. I used gloss Humbrol paint on Airfix Napoleonics in the mid 1970's when I was 10 or 12 years old, but never since !

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I hope you enjoy my new post this evening...

      Delete
  5. Lovely Portuguese and a splendid Highlander!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain I appreciate the comments as always

      Delete